Register Now
StaceyPowers

What film/TV actors do you imagine would do well with video game voice-over work?

The Elder Scrolls Online had shown why a good actor does not necessarily equate to a good voice actor. Direction and editing are important also.

It's really people with distinctive voices that I'd like to see. Bryan Cranston booms with his ordinary speaking voice and has a great gravelly voice. When he played the cancer-suffering Walter White, he was incredibly convincing with his coughing and spluttering, projecting the sounds he makes. He's really well suited for it.

Toby Longworth has done some video game work which I've not heard for myself (namely Penultimo of Tropico, and some voices in A Machine for Pigs), but he has a good range of accents as heard in his audiobooks. Having listened to Warhammer 40,000's Gaunt's Ghosts novels, I love the voices he has for each of the troopers. He'd do well in the upcoming Darktide game, or really just about any Warhammer game.

Speaking of audiobooks, any of the classic Doctors who are still alive and are capable of voice work from Doctor Who. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were great on screen and fully committed to their characters in the audio adventures. Maggie Stables who played Evelyn Smythe, and Sophie Aldred who played Ace, would be great additions to video game casting too.

Finally Charles Dance. I could listen to him narrate paint drying.

I would like to see what Tyler Garcia-Posey can do in video games seeing how good he was in the popular TV series Teen Wolf he was a lead character. He's been into video acting before where he voiced the character of Tony Toretto in the animated series Fast & Furious Spy Racers. He also voiced Prince Alonso in Elena of Avalor. 

17 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The Elder Scrolls Online had shown why a good actor does not necessarily equate to a good voice actor. Direction and editing are important also.

It's really people with distinctive voices that I'd like to see. Bryan Cranston booms with his ordinary speaking voice and has a great gravelly voice. When he played the cancer-suffering Walter White, he was incredibly convincing with his coughing and spluttering, projecting the sounds he makes. He's really well suited for it.

Toby Longworth has done some video game work which I've not heard for myself (namely Penultimo of Tropico, and some voices in A Machine for Pigs), but he has a good range of accents as heard in his audiobooks. Having listened to Warhammer 40,000's Gaunt's Ghosts novels, I love the voices he has for each of the troopers. He'd do well in the upcoming Darktide game, or really just about any Warhammer game.

Speaking of audiobooks, any of the classic Doctors who are still alive and are capable of voice work from Doctor Who. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were great on screen and fully committed to their characters in the audio adventures. Maggie Stables who played Evelyn Smythe, and Sophie Aldred who played Ace, would be great additions to video game casting too.

Finally Charles Dance. I could listen to him narrate paint drying.

This is well Said.

A good actor doesn't always compliment as a good voice actor.

But I would still state that a few of them like Jason Statham, jack Austin from wizard of Waverly place, Kevin hart as well would make good voice actors.

@Clasher You may be pleased to know that Jason Statham was in the first Call of Duty and Red Faction II. His voice work wasn't impressive if I'm honest; you could hardly tell it was him, and I'm of the opinion he has a rather distinctive voice. He projects himself much better through motion, especially his facial expressions. Maybe if he had a role where he did his character's motion capture and was based on his likeness, that'd work.

I actually knew about his role in call of duty but I wasn't aware he was in red faction II maybe because I didn't play the game.

I felt he did pretty well for call of duty 1 and sounded just as he would for his movie roles you can compare this to his voice from the wrath of man and accident man (both movies he starred in).

I like it when it's done right and as long as it isn't too prevalent, particularly with celebrity actors, it doesn't sit right with me that a multi-millionaire celebrity actor could have a role that a small-time actor with a second job could have instead. Big time actors don't have the time to do video game roles anyway, so fortunately it's not much of an issue for now. Also samuel l jackson tend to fit in nicly

If WWE superstars can be considered as actors, which I think that some of them are into acting too in the person of John Cena, The Mhiz, Randy Orton, Stone Cold Steve Austin and so much more. I'm not sure if Randy Orton have been into voice acting, if not, I'd like to see him take it on. 

Most actors in hollywood probably could easily lend their voices to video games. I mean, if they are already providing voices for animated features and other forms of media, what says they can't do voice over work in gaming? Many people made the jump to gaming like Willem Dafoe, Elliot Page, Norman Reedus, Mads Mikelson, and many more. Voice acting I imagine is an easy thing for most actors to get into. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

If WWE superstars can be considered as actors, which I think that some of them are into acting too in the person of John Cena, The Mhiz, Randy Orton, Stone Cold Steve Austin and so much more. I'm not sure if Randy Orton have been into voice acting, if not, I'd like to see him take it on. 

I'm sure many could do voice acting. I know some do so for the WWE games, so a lot of them are already doing it.  

On 8/15/2022 at 10:30 PM, Kane99 said:

I'm sure many could do voice acting. I know some do so for the WWE games, so a lot of them are already doing it.  

There's a possibility of that happening. I can remember when John Cena was the company's brand. He did all sorts of commercials for the company and also worked up on his movies career in Hollywood. He's definitely going to excel in voice acting. 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:55 AM, Clasher said:

I actually knew about his role in call of duty but I wasn't aware he was in red faction II maybe because I didn't play the game.

I felt he did pretty well for call of duty 1 and sounded just as he would for his movie roles you can compare this to his voice from the wrath of man and accident man (both movies he starred in).

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this post. I had no idea Statham was doing voice acting work in video games. Then again, I never played the first game. I started on the 2nd game I believe. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

There's a possibility of that happening. I can remember when John Cena was the company's brand. He did all sorts of commercials for the company and also worked up on his movies career in Hollywood. He's definitely going to excel in voice acting. 

Especially John Cena. He's already done voice work in animated movies, so he could easily move on to video games if he wants to. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this post. I had no idea Statham was doing voice acting work in video games. Then again, I never played the first game. I started on the 2nd game I believe. 

Yeah he did, I brought it up because I felt he did pretty well with COD and he been completely original without trying to sound like or act like someone else.

If you watch a lot of Jason Statham movies you would appreciate his originality and how he portrayed himself in that video game.

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Especially John Cena. He's already done voice work in animated movies, so he could easily move on to video games if he wants to. 

The guy was very good. I can remember his first movie that I watched - The Marine, he was a badass in it. As one of the character's in the movie (The Antagonist) calls him, one man army that doesn't die. I'd definitely like to see him take up voice acting in video games.