Register Now
DylanC

Best video game to movie adaptation?

Ok, they get a bad rap but what are some of your favourite video game to movie adaptations? In my opinion, it's easily the original Silent Hill movie. I genuinely liked Christophe Gans' adaptation of Silent Hill to the silver screen. Sure, it had some uneven writing here and there, but the atmosphere, audio and visual effects are all on-point.

Man this is tough as most of them have been truely terrible, Max Payne and Assassins Creed stand out to me as among the worst.  As for good ones, the Doom movie with the Rock was enjoyable in its own way, also the animated Final Fantasy film back in the day was awesome, and the animation quality was way ahead of its time.

Edited by Joant73

2 hours ago, Joant73 said:

Man this is tough as most of them have been truely terrible, Max Payne and Assassins Creed stand out to me as among the worst.  As for good ones, the Doom movie with the Rock was enjoyable in its own way, also the animated Final Fantasy film back in the day was awesome, and the animation quality was way ahead of its time.

Aye, it's not the highest bar tbh, lol.

Doom was ok, but not seen the Final Fantasy animated movie. After giving it more thought, Wreck It Ralph is arguably the best video game movie, though it's not based solely on one game. Thanks for commenting!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, Joant73 said:

The animated Final Fantasy film back in the day was awesome, and the animation quality was way ahead of its time.

Theirs been a few in fact, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (2016), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005) which is pretty good.  I think you probably mean the first one, Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within (2001).  I'm with you on the aminations, visuals and how technically impressive it was but it was SO BORING.  I remember the silly mock outtakes on than I remembered the film!

56 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

Mortal Kombat from 1995. 

It has some amazing fights and the special effects are still incredible. But do not bother with the second movie. It's terrible.

Mortal Kombat (1995) was good, it's got some problems but it's still certainly up there as one of the best game to movie adaptations. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) is so cheap and incompetent in nearly every aspect that it's quite a lot to watch!

As for good Game to Movie Adaptations...  I would say Wreck it Ralph but it's not really based on a game.  I've heard good things about Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) but I've not seen it myself.  So aside from the aforementioned Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Mortal Kombat... I would say DOOM but to honest but I think it's really just that really cool First person sequence, the rest of film is mediocre at best.  It's hard to think of any truly great video game movies.

For good Game adaptations, almost all the good stuff is in TV/Streaming series.  The Witcher (although it's based on the books rather than the games) Castlevainia, there's some decent Sonic series' and then there's Arcane League of legends which the hands down the best video game adaptation ever.  Movies have quite caught up yet.

Both the movie version of MK and the Game version are well performed. The movie pushed me hard to go for the game, up to this day, I never regretted playing the game. One of the best iconic movie based video game. 

Edited by Justin11

5 minutes ago, egghead said:

Not a movie but a TV show, I think The Witcher is the best screen adaptation of a game.

Technically, that doesn't count. Both the video games and the TV show are based on the same series of books. Some of the aesthetic interpretations from the game inspired the look of the show, but that's about as far as it goes.

33 minutes ago, egghead said:

The Witcher show is more influenced by the game than the books. Even the characters on the show are made to look like the game characters.

There's a few game related Easter eggs in there but the Witcher Series is definitely based on the books, not the games.