Register Now
DylanC

Best video game to movie adaptation?

Likely an unpopular opinion, I loved the Max Payne movie. The games themselves are pretty cheesy in the sense of "I'm 14 and this is deep," but I like to indulge in that every now and again, and the film, though nonsensical at times (not unlike one of the game's dream sequences), did capture a lot of that if unintentionally. You could probably make a much better movie, but you couldn't make a more authentic one than the one we got. It's badly produced enough and takes itself seriously enough to be perfect.

That said, my girlfriend loves the Assassin's Creed movie. Now whether it's because it's a 1:1 adaptation of the game(s) or because it's just a good assassin movie I can't say as I've not seen it. It came and went from the gaming public's eye in a flash, which is quite appropriate given that's what the games are all about. Still, it reviewed well from what I vaguely remember about it.

And another one I haven't seen but must for movie night is Silent Hill. I'm told that's very close to the games, right down to the puzzle elements and render distance fog.

Edited by Withywarlock

On 4/1/2022 at 11:14 PM, Crazycrab said:

There's a few game related Easter eggs in there but the Witcher Series is definitely based on the books, not the games.

I said the TV show is more influenced by the game than the books. The show is of course based on books but you can see it is heavily influenced by the game.

Silent Hill is one hell of a movie that was fearsome, I didn't watch it more than 40 mins, because I couldn't continue being frightened. The game was similar and immersive to me as well. 

Lara Croft = Tomb raider, one of the best movies I watched, the game which was covered largely by a female character is the best thing ever happened to the game, which captured the real scene of the movie. 

street fighter 1994 movie, made me search for the game, it regulated my feelings, and made me love the game. 

6 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Silent Hill is one hell of a movie that was fearsome, I didn't watch it more than 40 mins, because I couldn't continue being frightened. The game was similar and immersive to me as well. 

Lara Croft = Tomb raider, one of the best movies I watched, the game which was covered largely by a female character is the best thing ever happened to the game, which captured the real scene of the movie. 

street fighter 1994 movie, made me search for the game, it regulated my feelings, and made me love the game. 

I really did enjoyed playing Tomb Raider and I think that the movie was superb as well. I have watched all the movies they had made. I think Lara have stopped acting it. 

3 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I really did enjoyed playing Tomb Raider and I think that the movie was superb as well. I have watched all the movies they had made. I think Lara have stopped acting it. 

I think Lara Croft have stopped acting, if not, I could've seen another version of Tomb Raider from her. That movie will live on the memory, new generation gonna love it too when they decide to go retro. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

I knew anyone that watched the movie will definitely enjoy the movie, the mobile game version is just so interesting too to me, I just hope Lara Croft makes that long awaited return and start making new version of Tomb raider game. 

17 hours ago, Heatman said:

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

I knew anyone that watched the movie will definitely enjoy the movie, the mobile game version is just so interesting too to me, I just hope Lara Croft makes that long awaited return and start making new version of Tomb raider game. 

Ok, I'm confused and I think you two are going to have to be a little more specific.

There have been several games and movies across both the original and rebooted franchises, and opinions about these can be quite... divisive.

So is it this movie (safely assuming it's not the sequel):

image.thumb.png.21f01edf852d575f9dc801cfe73ad40b.png

Or this one:

image.thumb.png.1dba8fbaf2d38ee3792872aaff37ec7f.png

If you ask me, neither film was as good as it's game.  The first movie with Angelina Jolie and was just cheesy, sellout hollywood.  The other one starring Alicia Vikander was a better movie, but a worse adaptation. I hold it to a higher standard since the story in the rebooted Tomb Raider is head and shoulders above the original.

7 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Ok, I'm confused and I think you two are going to have to be a little more specific.

There have been several games and movies across both the original and rebooted franchises, and opinions about these can be quite... divisive.

So is it this movie (safely assuming it's not the sequel):

image.thumb.png.21f01edf852d575f9dc801cfe73ad40b.png

Or this one:

image.thumb.png.1dba8fbaf2d38ee3792872aaff37ec7f.png

If you ask me, neither film was as good as it's game.  The first movie with Angelina Jolie and was just cheesy, sellout hollywood.  The other one starring Alicia Vikander was a better movie, but a worse adaptation. I hold it to a higher standard since the story in the rebooted Tomb Raider is head and shoulders above the original.

Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider was definitely a better one for me. Maybe because I'm already too used to Angelina Jolie and as such the new face was much needed. 

Just now, Justin11 said:

Lara Croft version of Tomb Raider d the best option for me, which is the first one @Crazycrab, that's the one I had on mind when I made my intensions known around the movie and the game. 

What do mean the "Lara Croft" version of Tomb Raider? She's always been the protagonist. In every movie and every game. We have talked before about you taking your time and caring about what you post, so tell me how I'm supposed to believe you when you post stuff like that? Just take a few moments to read what you post before you post it, please.

11 minutes ago, Shagger said:

What do mean the "Lara Croft" version of Tomb Raider? She's always been the protagonist. In every movie and every game. We have talked before about you taking your time and caring about what you post, so tell me how I'm supposed to believe you when you post stuff like that? Just take a few moments to read what you post before you post it, please.

If you look at the titles you'll see the first one is "Lara Croft Tomb Raider" and the newer one is just "Tomb Raider".  He made what he meant pretty clear if ask me.

18 hours ago, Cognizant said:

Mortal Kombat (1995)... I remember something from my childhood, but very few. Many of my friends watched it that tiime. By the way, has anybody watched Mortal Kombat 2021? Is it worth wasting time?

We actually have another thread going on about that one.

I did watch it as a kid, it's one of the better adaptations especially at the time.  The 2021 film was a bit of a mess.  It has the fact that it's R rated going for it and the guy that played Kano is a lot of fun, but the story is all over the place and this new character their pushing is such a fucking bore.  It should have been better.

Edited by Crazycrab

28 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I believe you got what @Crazycrab said right? There is two options, I have to choose the one I knew about, their is nothing wrong with the option I opted in for.