Register Now
Kane99

What company could you see making a console?

There's been many companies to try their hand at making their own consoles, but in reality, most of them don't succeed. From Panasonic, Atari many times over, Apple trying and then moving on super fast. What company could you see making their own console? Could it maybe be Apple throwing their hat in the ring again? Or maybe a company like Facebook will jump in, or maybe Amazon. Amazon already has their own gaming studio, so it's possible we could see a console from them. 

What companies could you see making their own gaming console? 

17 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

If I were to place a bet I would say Amazon, but I think any company throwing their hat in the ring right now would probably go with the streaming service route like Google Stadia or XCloud rather than releasing a piece of hardware.

Yeah, Amazon seems like a possibility. I would say Google as well, but Stadia has been quite a failure since release and I suspect it won't be around too much longer. But, who knows, Google can always try to throw their hat in the ring again. Or they may make Stadia worth it at some point. The downside to not releasing any hardware and just going with streaming, is that most ISPs can't 100% support it. Mine can I believe, but even so, it's not going to be a smooth experience. But, I am hopeful for streaming to take off. 

4 hours ago, AndreiMirfi said:

I've been thinking about Razer. Maybe they will decide to make one.

Hmm, never considered Razer, but they could easily build up a gaming machine. They make PCs, and have a gaming phone, so it's possible. I'd actually welcome that. 

We've seen some crazy shit come and go. I anticipate that several PC companies will attempt at the very least to come out with a console of some sort. It's inevitable in my mind. But there are other multi-billion dollar corporations that would scare me if they tried a console, even though some have already released a game.

Just now, The Blackangel said:

We've seen some crazy shit come and go. I anticipate that several PC companies will attempt at the very least to come out with a console of some sort. It's inevitable in my mind. But there are other multi-billion dollar corporations that would scare me if they tried a console, even though some have already released a game.

Actually that already happened about 4 or 5 years ago with the "Steam Machines".  A series of the small console like mini PC's that would run Steam OS and be bundled with a Steam controller.  It seemed to be a good idea, something to bridge the gap between the convenience and ease of use of a console with the flexibility and upgradability of a PC.  It was, however a complete and total disaster!

Valve partnered with not one or even a few hardware partners but 13!  Each of them had their own version of the box with different and in some cases varying hardware configurations within their own range.  This was a huge marketing blunder because it made something that was supposed to a bridge over to the much simple console market even more confusing.  Not only that but they were often more expensive than the equivalent PC's and the Steam OS had (and still has) some notable limitations compared to Windows such as not being compatible certain popular games like GTA V and Skyrim.

So it's not surprising they bit the dust pretty quickly, one of the more “popular” models from Alienware only sold 500,00 units in its first six months which is pretty dismal when you consider the PS4 sold double that on its first day alone.

23 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

I think LG may be able to pull it off someday.  Think of all the products they already make reasonably well.

I suppose I could see them. I would actually see them getting into peripherals instead. I don't see them making a console. 

I can see Amazon, and maybe Google trying their hand yet again. 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, The Blackangel said:

Are you implying Pepsi could make a console? 😄 Unless your'e just referring to the Pepsiman video game that came out because it was random Pepsi had a game? But could you imagine them trying to make a console. What do you think they'd call it? 

4 hours ago, Xolta said:

I relay don't see any new competitors in the pure console market any time soon, how ever I feel like companies like apple or amazon may try streaming console like boxes.

Amazon may not release a console but they are pretty active in the gaming world and they are working on a lot of title and they are integrating those title with the amazon services like amazon store and aws. For example here is the gaming engine or amazon. 

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/