Register Now
Kane99

Do you still have any retro game stores in your area?

It seems like gaming stores are starting to disappear like arcades once did. I don't even have a retro game store in my area. Not at least for hundreds of miles away. With that being said, I know Gamestop is trying to sell retro games these days, but in reality, the games they sell aren't always legitimate. Just look on YouTube and you'll see a lot of videos about bootleg games being sold to them, or rom hacks and stuff like that. So I refuse to buy retro anything from Gamestop. Plus it's gamestop, gross! lol

Anyway, do you guys still have retro game stores near you? If I had the money and a slew of games, I'd consider starting my own retro shop in my area. 

We have a couple. I bought a few NES and SNES games from them last year. I got Ducktales 2 and TMNT Tournament Fighters on NES at one of them. It was a hell of a good deal. Just over $300 for the both of them together. They also have some other rares like Mega Man 1&5. They check all the games that come in to make sure they're not bootlegs. So nothing fake is sold. And if someone asks them to, they're willing to take the cart apart and prove that it's the real deal right there in store. Well, one store is. The other is employed by a bunch of arrogant college kids.

We have a retro game store at the downtown mall with all sorts of retro games for ps2, ps1, ps3, xbox 360, Nintendo ds, 3ds, genesis, dream cast, and Gameboy and advance and they got comics and books and shirts and arcades and all sorts of nostalgia material to "go back in time" for your mind. Always packed and heavy it's called player's choice; aptly named. 

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

There's only one I can think of, two if you count Computer Exchange (CeX) but that's a franchise. It's getting harder to find local retro shops, and I can't blame anyone moving such a business online.

That would be computer brand though not retro game store like OP want. I think retro game shops around the world are closed or now part of the hobby stores. 

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

That would be computer brand though not retro game store like OP want. I think retro game shops around the world are closed or now part of the hobby stores. 

I don't know. If it sells retro hardware and devices, I think we can count it. 🙂 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:02 PM, skyfire said:

I think case a lot of local hardware repair stores can come into that category they must have some of the old consoles lying around in their place. 

It's actually very possible to have that available in some locality. I knew of a man who fixes consoles when I was still a kid, he does have lots of consoles in his workshop.