Register Now
Kane99

Why do old PS1/PS2 controllers have gross analog sticks?

Idk what it is, but it seems if you keep your PS1/PS2 dualshock controllers for a long time, they tend to get gunky and slimy feeling. I think the rubber on the analog sticks starts to go after being left alone for such a long time. Or it just collects dust way too easily. Does anyone else have this issue with old controllers with rubber sticks? Like they feel sticky and sometimes it falls apart. Do you guys know a way of protecting controllers from this? I'm thinking of just wrapping all of my controllers in plastic bags to protect them more from dust and debris when not in use. 

You kind of answered your own question... they get dirty by the hands of cheese Dorito chomping gamers!  Also as rubber as a repeated load and unloaded loses its elasticity, but this can be restored by heating it in boiling water then drying it.  Here's a guy on YouTube who gets some really dirty old consoles and accessories working again most of the time by just giving them a good clean, like this original PlayStation controller.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, Kane99 said:

Idk what it is, but it seems if you keep your PS1/PS2 dualshock controllers for a long time, they tend to get gunky and slimy feeling. I think the rubber on the analog sticks starts to go after being left alone for such a long time. Or it just collects dust way too easily. Does anyone else have this issue with old controllers with rubber sticks? Like they feel sticky and sometimes it falls apart. Do you guys know a way of protecting controllers from this? I'm thinking of just wrapping all of my controllers in plastic bags to protect them more from dust and debris when not in use. 

I actually had a bad experience with playing at a friend's house that had his analog sticks broken out from the round part and it hurt like hell using those to play. 

On 10/11/2020 at 12:53 AM, Crazycrab said:

You kind of answered your own question... they get dirty by the hands of cheese Dorito chomping gamers!  Also as rubber as a repeated load and unloaded loses its elasticity, but this can be restored by heating it in boiling water then drying it.  Here's a guy on YouTube who gets some really dirty old consoles and accessories working again most of the time by just giving them a good clean, like this original PlayStation controller.

It's been a very long time since I had seen anyone who still plays with Playstation 1 or Playstation 2 console. The controller really looks odd to me now. 

On 10/11/2020 at 12:53 AM, Crazycrab said:

I think it's as a result of the material used in making the console controller of PS1 and PS2 that makes it get greasy that way. I haven't experienced that with my PS4. 

14 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm guessing it's a cheaper quality of plastic, or maybe it's the moulding? I know you mean about this, with even the much improved Dual Analogue controller (with the concaved sticks). You can only clean your fingers so much before your naturally produced grease makes their way onto them.

It's definitely going to be cheaper plastic use in making the console. It's even why most times, it hurts the thumb from using it for too long. 

19 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

They are simply old consoles the materials used on building it's controllers were best back then, but now modernized controllers are built. 

Yeah, it's not something that you can easily see happening with Playstation 5 console or even PS4 to begin with. Even my PS4 never had such happen to it. 

9 hours ago, Boblee said:

Yeah, it's not something that you can easily see happening with Playstation 5 console or even PS4 to begin with. Even my PS4 never had such happen to it. 

XD, okay I heard you right. Play Station 4, 5 are simply modern video games, so you should always expect their controller sticks to be well constructed. 

17 hours ago, Boblee said:

Exactly - I never really experienced that with my PS4 console that I'm currently playing with now. It's still as it was when I got it, although I have 4 different controllers for the it.