Register Now
Kane99

Who is PlayStation's Mascot?

Back in the day I would have said that Crash Bandicoot would be the mascot for the PlayStation, but sadly, he's owned by Activision and is on all consoles. So, who does PlayStation have? Rachet and Clank could be the mascots, and I feel that they were for a time. I can see Sly, but they haven't done a new game in the series in a while from what I see. 

But today, who or what would you say is the mascot now? I forgot about Kratos and Nathan Drake, they're key mascots for Sony. But who is the main one? Does Kratos win? 

I think that was the plan for the likes of Crash Bandicoot or possibly Lara Croft back in the early days of PlayStation, but I think the system has kind of grown past that now. PS has its own away of exclusive IP's and with many iconic characters, but I don't think they need an answer to Master Chief, Sonic or Mario any more, if they did at all.

I don't think there is one mascot character for PlayStation and that's a good thing.  You've got Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Aloy, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Crash Bandicoot, and whatever David Cage is perving over and more so there's something for everyone.  You can cater to a wider market when there is not just one image that defines the brand.

The old systems kinda needed a mascot, just because that was the times. Mario and Sonic are iconic. Link too. But in today's gaming world, choosing a mascot is not a smart move. It takes away time from the developers that should be working on their games and systems, by instead having a consensus to choose a character to represent them. And there's no telling how long that would take, and how much money would be poured into such a pointless endeavor. Too much R&D for a mascot instead of R&D for a hot game series.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, The Blackangel said:

The old systems kinda needed a mascot, just because that was the times. Mario and Sonic are iconic. Link too. But in today's gaming world, choosing a mascot is not a smart move. It takes away time from the developers that should be working on their games and systems, by instead having a consensus to choose a character to represent them. And there's no telling how long that would take, and how much money would be poured into such a pointless endeavor. Too much R&D for a mascot instead of R&D for a hot game series.

Totally agreed here! It's quite relevant in the past with how the gaming industry operated but now it's completely a worthless move if they still took to it. 

On 11/20/2020 at 4:39 AM, killamch89 said:

There are so many characters who could fill that role but I think Sony moved away from that (which is a good move in my opinion).

From the looks of things, it's no longer worth the stress for the company and they are very good at prioritizing their business. 

I always seen Spyro the Dragon as Playstation's platformer mascot back in the day, and I think it's because I played Spyro and never played much of Crash. Lara Croft was a pretty big character back then too, and was somewhat of a mascot for the Playstation. Throughout the years new franchises came out on Playstation consoles such as Rachet and Clank and I feel like they replaced the old mascots. Nowdays, I see Kratos as the mascot for the Playstation. I can't really picture any other character, mascots really aren't as big as they were in the 90's and 00's. Game companies really don't need to focus on that aspect anymore.

If PlayStation was to have a mascot, it should be left to reception from gamers. Meaning that when someone says the word "PlayStation" a specific character comes to mind immediately. Then Sony can go with it and elect it as the (un)official mascot for the console. Kinda like when M&M's had the campaign to add a new color back in the 90's, and blue won.

If you had of asked me a few years ago who the mascot for PlayStation was I would have said without a second thought, Crash Bandicoot. 

Now I would have to say Kratos would be the first person I would think of when it comes to PlayStation and would seem more of a mascot now.