Register Now
Shagger

If you could remove ONE thing from gaming, what would it be?

I expect some things in this thread and they would all have a good case I'm sure. Abuse of employees in the gaming industry...

....You know what , fuck it, THAT is number 1. Nobody should say otherwise and there is nothing that is more important. This is not just about more recent controversy's surrounding Ubisoft and Activision/Blizzard, this is an industry wide problem. This needs to stop.

But, for the sake of the thread, let's discuss the seconds on our lists. Microtransactions, "Deluxe" editions, copy/paste yearly franchises, everything else you immediately associate with EA, there's lots of things we can do without, but what is your personal peeve?

For me, it's clear, and this guy sums it up perfectly;

Fanboys

Edited by Shagger

I have to agree - fanboys go to the extreme to defend companies that couldn't give a crap about them, just their money. Microtransaction policies of companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision really gets on my nerves. On top of that, they have ads in their games as well which go for the premium $60 price tag - we would think that paying $60 for a title at least allows you the basic ad-free experience but not with these lot. Lump in DLCs, Battle Passes/Season Passes and you're well over $500 for a single title. You'd be lucky if the game doesn't come out broken with a "day one" patch along with other fixes over the period of a year to make the game even remotely playable.

In Call of duty, Overkill hands down. There is no counterplay to someone immediately swapping to the better gun for the situation. I wouldn't hate it if pistols (other than the sykov) were actually good. Overkill is clearly the best perk in slot 2 and you can still run amped with it which is stupid good. Pocket quick draw 725 is completely ridiculous.

The working conditions of employees is a problem of corporate culture, not specifically that of gaming. The gaming industry is the same as any other competitive cutthroat for profit industry. The nasty practices like not giving low level workers employee benefits or paying them scraps exists all over the spectrum not just specifically in gaming. Crunch as they like to call it is not unique to games either.  Any discrepancy is in the reporting. So it's not fair to say that this is a gaming problem.  I have experienced first and second hand what is reported in the gaming industry. If you think mid management who gets off on humiliating employees is unique to the gaming industry then I have a bridge to sell you.

What is actually a gaming industry problem, is deliberately making the products flawed, to later sell the fixes for it. No other industry does this that I know of. Sell you a deliberately broken product then sell you a fix for it. Or as we commonly know them as "time savers" and "xp boosts" Yes these aer a type of microtransactions too, and all of those are bad, but not equally bad. By far these are the most heinous.

Edited by m76

MICROTRANSACTIONS

i know that they exist to make companies make more money, but some companies are abusing the concept, i stopped playing many games just because the devs/company that made game made it completely based on microtransactions...

1 hour ago, m76 said:

The working conditions of employees is a problem of corporate culture, not specifically that of gaming. The gaming industry is the same as any other competitive cutthroat for profit industry. The nasty practices like not giving low level workers employee benefits or paying them scraps exists all over the spectrum not just specifically in gaming. Crunch as they like to call it is not unique to games either.  Any discrepancy is in the reporting. So it's not fair to say that this is a gaming problem.  I have experienced first and second hand what is reported in the gaming industry. If you think mid management who gets off on humiliating employees is unique to the gaming industry then I have a bridge to sell you.

Just because it's common that doesn't make it right. If anything, that makes it worse. I bring it up with gaming specifically because this is a gaming forum, that doesn't make us unaware of the wider issue.

Edited by Shagger

I would remove exclusives. All that does is set us up to have different games for each system and paves the way to subscription only as they entice all the streaming companies, who jump at the chance to spread their exclusive only services. We already have exclusives from publishers who also make consoles, and that competition itself welcomes exclusivity. Streaming companies are having a wet dream to get their grabs in the gaming market. When that becomes mainstream, we will have to depend on the internet if you wanted to buy any game. Hard discs will become obsolete. And when everything is subscribe only, internet required, then gaming will also fall in line and become a gaming environment where every game requires internet. And when that happens, we will see advertising popping up all the time. I've seen the future. I was sent to this present age to stop this from happening. The world will cease if this happens. Machines will take over. There will be an apocalypse due to exclusivity. And when the internet goes down...only those with the hard disk can play. People will flock to you home to play. Protect yourselves!!! The end. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I would remove exclusives. All that does is set us up to have different games for each system and paves the way to subscription only as they entice all the streaming companies, who jump at the chance to spread their exclusive only services. We already have exclusives from publishers who also make consoles, and that competition itself welcomes exclusivity. Streaming companies are having a wet dream to get their grabs in the gaming market. When that becomes mainstream, we will have to depend on the internet if you wanted to buy any game. Hard discs will become obsolete. And when everything is subscribe only, internet required, then gaming will also fall in line and become a gaming environment where every game requires internet. And when that happens, we will see advertising popping up all the time. I've seen the future. I was sent to this present age to stop this from happening. The world will cease if this happens. Machines will take over. There will be an apocalypse due to exclusivity. And when the internet goes down...only those with the hard disk can play. People will flock to you home to play. Protect yourselves!!! The end. 

Lol. Are you traveling in that time machine of Ant man? Lol

Anyway, that really seems to be the future. The gaming companies already gripping the gaming industry, it has become a business more than an entertainment portal.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:24 PM, killamch89 said:

I have to agree - fanboys go to the extreme to defend companies that couldn't give a crap about them, just their money. Microtransaction policies of companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision really gets on my nerves. On top of that, they have ads in their games as well which go for the premium $60 price tag - we would think that paying $60 for a title at least allows you the basic ad-free experience but not with these lot. Lump in DLCs, Battle Passes/Season Passes and you're well over $500 for a single title. You'd be lucky if the game doesn't come out broken with a "day one" patch along with other fixes over the period of a year to make the game even remotely playable.

Seriously, having to deal with the Microtransaction policies of these companies, then comes the ads. As much as I hated these ads, I don't really think it's ever going to be stopped. 

On 7/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, Shagger said:

Just because it's common that doesn't make it right. If anything, that makes it worse. I bring it up with gaming specifically because this is a gaming forum, that doesn't make us unaware of the wider issue.

I didn't say it was right, I'm just frustrated by the disproportionate reporting of it in gaming. This goes on everywhere almost, but for some reason it is made out to be a gaming industry specific issue by the media. It kind of makes it seem that the abuse in other industries is not as important.  For example there was this one guy I used to work with who only called in female candidates to job interviews to grill and humiliate them with zero intention of actually hiring them. Unfortunately I only learned his true intentions after the interviews.

Edited by m76

3 minutes ago, m76 said:

I didn't say it was right, I'm just frustrated by the disproportionate reporting of it in gaming. This goes on everywhere almost, but for some reason it is made out to be a gaming industry specific issue by the media. It kind of makes it seem that the abuse in other industries is not as important.  For example there was this one guy I used to work with who only called in female candidates to job interviews to grill and humiliate them with zero intention of actually hiring them. Unfortunately I only learned his true intentions after the interviews.

They guy really has got a serious personality problem because what he does isn't normal. I wouldn't even call it wickedness because it certainly looks like a psychological problem to me. 

Did he by any chance tell you the reason why he does that to female candidates? 

5 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Did he by any chance tell you the reason why he does that to female candidates? 

Why, because he was a misogynist, a word that is thrown around willy nilly nowadays, but this guy really fit the bill.

We just didn't expect him to stoop this low, within the work force nobody took his remarks to heart, we thought him harmless, the female employees at the company just laughed at him. That's probably why he choose to take it out on girls fresh out of college.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Why, because he was a misogynist, a word that is thrown around willy nilly nowadays, but this guy really fit the bill.

We just didn't expect him to stoop this low, within the work force nobody took his remarks to heart, we thought him harmless, the female employees at the company just laughed at him. That's probably why he choose to take it out on girls fresh out of college.

He's just a small man as far as I can tell it because what he's doing is practically way off to understand because if he's really looking for justice, then he should find a way to get from the already employed females in the company. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

He's just a small man as far as I can tell it because what he's doing is practically way off to understand because if he's really looking for justice, then he should find a way to get from the already employed females in the company. 

You can't find logic in hate.