Register Now
StaceyPowers

What existing video game series do you think will still be around in 50 years?

I think the closest that can make it would be the Super Mario series. I mean, hasn't Mario games been around for like 35+ years now? I can see them hitting 50 years and more no problem. As for other games, I don't know. Maybe The Legend of Zelda series, GTA, Fortnite lol. Idk. 50 years is a long ways to go into the future, especially when I don't think we had 50+ years of video games yet. I think the first video game came out in the late 50s, and it didn't take until the 70s until consoles became a thing. So we're probably nearing our first 50-60 years with gaming. 

Honestly, I have a feeling that most IPs will be gone or forgotten in 50 years. I can't see most series sticking around, but I can see some making it possible. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I think the closest that can make it would be the Super Mario series. I mean, hasn't Mario games been around for like 35+ years now? I can see them hitting 50 years and more no problem. As for other games, I don't know. Maybe The Legend of Zelda series, GTA, Fortnite lol. Idk. 50 years is a long ways to go into the future, especially when I don't think we had 50+ years of video games yet. I think the first video game came out in the late 50s, and it didn't take until the 70s until consoles became a thing. So we're probably nearing our first 50-60 years with gaming. 

Honestly, I have a feeling that most IPs will be gone or forgotten in 50 years. I can't see most series sticking around, but I can see some making it possible. 

Actually Mario has been around longer than that. His first appearance (aside from Donkey Kong) was a game called Mario Bros. Not Super Mario Bros. It was originally released on Atari 2600. The game was later ported to the NES. Here's a video showing them both.

Atari 2600

NES

I think that if the world still has drive-able (not self-driving) sports cars in 50 years, Gran Turismo could still be a thing.  It's original creator will either be gone or 110 years old, but so many people have cared about GT since 1998 and some might end up working for Polyphony Digital, who knows?

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Actually Mario has been around longer than that. His first appearance (aside from Donkey Kong) was a game called Mario Bros. Not Super Mario Bros. It was originally released on Atari 2600. The game was later ported to the NES. Here's a video showing them both.

Atari 2600

NES

I remember that. It came out for Arcades first, that's the version that you can actually play in SMB3 when starting the game. I think my uncle had one of the arcade cabinets and I vaguely remember playing it there as well. I forgot they made a version for the Atari 2600 as well. 

A lot of the big names. I can't see Grand Theft Auto ever ending especially if they go down the route of a live service game instead of releasing new games every decade or so. Sports games like FIFA, F1, and NBA will always survive for a long time. Again with those, I can see them going down the live service route.

1 hour ago, Darth said:

A lot of the big names. I can't see Grand Theft Auto ever ending especially if they go down the route of a live service game instead of releasing new games every decade or so. Sports games like FIFA, F1, and NBA will always survive for a long time. Again with those, I can see them going down the live service route.

I believe EA FIFA will live up.to that moment, but they simply need improvement. GTA will be too, even if they developed shit game recently via GTA trilogy. Capcom, ubesoft will be around till then. 

Every generation is going to relive the classics like Super Mario Bros and others from Nintendo, so those will last forever as long as games last. As long as companies don't eat themselves up and split up and have a big fiasco on owner's rights to who gets what profit from any future game made from that series, then any series can last forever. There's no telling what inner conflict will split companies. That always is the problem that prevents publication of things. 

On 12/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, The Blackangel said:

Yeah I remember playing it in SMB3. The only way to play it was in 2 player mode though unfortunately. It was somewhat of a secret in the game though to most gamers at the time. Or Easter egg if you prefer.

Had a blast playing it with my brother. I remember my sister and mom showed it to me back then. 

On 12/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Darth said:

I think every game in the near future could potentially be doing the live service thing. GTA already does it with their online mode now, so it'll happen for their future games. Games like Fortnite don't need to charge you, and they make tons each year. With sports games, they will also be doing the live service thing. I wish instead they'd release one game for each sport, and release updates yearly or monthly. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Every generation is going to relive the classics like Super Mario Bros and others from Nintendo, so those will last forever as long as games last. As long as companies don't eat themselves up and split up and have a big fiasco on owner's rights to who gets what profit from any future game made from that series, then any series can last forever. There's no telling what inner conflict will split companies. That always is the problem that prevents publication of things. 

With how gaming companies are going these days, who knows how long they'll be around. Companies constantly keep making dumb decisions, saying dumb things and more. A lot can happen in 50 years. 

Agree with you on that. The one game that I wouldn't mind going down the live service route is FIFA. It would be so much better to just have one big purchase (the base game) and then have yearly updates. Just so much more convenient and easier to handle.

6 hours ago, Darth said:

Agree with you on that. The one game that I wouldn't mind going down the live service route is FIFA. It would be so much better to just have one big purchase (the base game) and then have yearly updates. Just so much more convenient and easier to handle.

I think of you simply get a particular FIFA edition and run yearly update of new features you'll definitely enjoy it, because you'll spend lesser than buying a new edition yearly.