Jump to content
Register Now
Techno

Sony Bought Bungie

Recommended Posts

@Techno

 

It's apricated when you post topics in "Gaming News" to link to an article of media detailing the story so it verifiable. No big deal, but I ask that you try and remember to do this in future. Here's a article from Eurogamer I found on the subject.

 

Well yeah, Sony did indeed have to do something to assure thier shareholders that they weren't getting swamped by XBox's growing market share after buying Activision-Blizzard. Not gonna lie, I didn't see this coming and irony is not lost me given that Bungie were the original developers of Xbox's most iconic franchise, but outside that I just hope this isn't part of a plan to make Destiny a PlayStation exclusive because that will not end well. It's not a good franchise, they're not good games and it won't be worth it. PlayStation would make far better use of Bungie if they were to let them develop something else.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shagger said:

@Techno

 

It's apricated when you post topics in "Gaming News" to link to an article of media detailing the story so it verifiable. No big deal, but I ask that you try and remember to do this in future. Here's a article from Eurogamer I found on the subject.

I completely forgot about that. Sorry, and yeah the irony here is amusing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Confirmed, Sony have bought Bungie for $3.6 Billion:

 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/bungie-is-joining-playstation/amp/

 

It's not surprising but here's the weird thing, it seems that Bungie is going to continue to operate as a independent multi-platform publisher and developer.  So Sony bought them because....  I have no fucking clue!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Crazycrab said:

Confirmed, Sony have bought Bungie for $3.6 Billion:

 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/bungie-is-joining-playstation/amp/

 

It's not surprising but here's the weird thing, it seems that Bungie is going to continue to operate as a independent multi-platform publisher and developer.  So Sony bought them because....  I have no fucking clue!

I guess to dig at Mircosoft? But all they have is Destiny, and that franchise is kinda controversial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's meant to be a slap in the face of Microsoft, because Bungie was huge with Microsoft back in the day. Especially considering they were the creators of the original Halo games, so it's quite weird to hear that the people who made Halo, are now working for Sony. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I think that the gobbling up of studios seemingly left, right, and centre is not a good thing for long-term industry health, Sony's acquisitions are quite different to Microsoft's. Where Microsoft seems to want to increase their market share by purchasing intellectual properties, exclusivity deals and studio names, Sony seem to buy studios for the people.

Destiny might well do better in their hands, Sony were quite keen on live disservices and MMOs such as Planetside, EverQuest, Star Wars: Galaxies, and Free Realms to name a few, but note how most of those have gone or are going. I believe Bungie are good developers with great hardware (albeit dire self-publishers), and I reckon that's what Sony wants.

It'll be interesting to see the relationship between Sony and NetEase, the latter of which had contributed no small amount of money ($100M) to Bungie to "begin the creation of new worlds" and gain a seat on their board of directors. For those not in the know, NetEase develop and publish Western games (especially Blizzard's works) in a way that is suitable for Chinese players, or rather, their government.

Much as I dislike the feeding frenzy that is noteworthy acquisitions in the past few years, I'm glad these developers are going to see some job security. Here's hoping it lasts.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I think it's meant to be a slap in the face of Microsoft, because Bungie was huge with Microsoft back in the day. Especially considering they were the creators of the original Halo games, so it's quite weird to hear that the people who made Halo, are now working for Sony. 

I see where you're coming from but I disagree. Bungie chose to split from MS and I imagine they would've had offers to come back if 343 Industries (the current Halo developers) weren't doing a good enough job. However they seem to be doing fine since Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and their head is the corporate vice president of Xbox Game Studios.

Edited by Withywarlock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Techno said:

I guess to dig at Mircosoft? But all they have is Destiny, and that franchise is kinda controversial.

Not necessary a dig at microsoft. They want big studios in their belt to push on their platform too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, Empire said:

Bungie will remain multiplatform. If, however, Sony wanted an exclusive blockbuster FPS (whose IP they'd own), they now have a first class studio at their disposal.

And that gives them more control over the revenue too. I guess diversification and locking both at the same time can do wonders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think this was a reaction buy since deals like this take a very long time. There is no way they could have bought Bungie just based on MS buying Activision. It's a decent buy but I'm not entirely sure about the price. Seems a bit expensive for a company that only really has Destiny at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darth said:

I don't think this was a reaction buy since deals like this take a very long time. There is no way they could have bought Bungie just based on MS buying Activision.

 

Actually, although the final buyout can take several months while the buyer pays if the debt, the deal itself can be proposed, negotiated, signed and announced within just a couple of days. This was definitely reaction buy by Sony and it won't be the last.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

Next thing you know, we're going to hear that Nintendo bought out Sega. I can see it coming already with all the collabs they have together. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games, Sonic in Smash Bros among other things.

 

If I were to place a bet on Nintendo buying any publisher, it would be SEGA.  They've been bedfellows for quite a while now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Crazycrab said:

 

If I were to place a bet on Nintendo buying any publisher, it would be SEGA.  They've been bedfellows for quite a while now.

Precisely, I'm just curious as to why Sony doesn't swoop up Konami - it's a potential goldmine with hits like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Contra. Metal Gear is one of PlayStation's most iconic series so it'd be a good deal for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...