Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is gaming the best stress relief?

For me, gaming is a big stress relief, especially when I'm having a rough day and need an escape. I don't know if it's my favorite form of stress relief, but it can help. I wouldn't say it's the best stress relief, because sometimes watching movies and tv shows does that for me. As well, I enjoy music as well, as that's been known to calm me down when things get a little rough. 

Yes and no. It depends on the game, really. In general, they can and do, but in specific, different people will respond differently to different stimuli. For instance, in World of Warcraft, it will actually induce stress with its skinnerian design principles focused on repetitive, time-consuming grinds. I've damn-near had a panic attack running raids in that game, that's how stress inducing it is (needless to say, I don't play that game much once I hit max level on any character)

MSFS is very relaxing but at times that can do both, stress and not stressing out. Yet Twitch streaming also can stress anyone out with chat talking. 

I like Empire's answer: it depends on the game and what the game wants of you. Frogun is not a game I play to relieve stress because it's proving difficult and at times needlessly frustrating. However there's times where I can pick up Total War and calmly see to my people's needs.

Sometimes I need a good audiobook, podcast, playlist or video to chill out, and there'll be rare occassions where I don't want to play a video game while doing that.

I'll add this, I personally think that it also depends on the person playing. Some people don't get relief from gaming the way some others do. For me it does depend on the game, because there are games that I have played while being stressed, and it didn't help, or even made it worse. 

But I think it depends on your own preferences and what you like as a person. Because a game that relieves stress for me, may not do so for you. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

As much as I enjoy playing video games, if I'm being very honest to answer your question here, my best source of stress relief would be SLEEPING!! It works like magic by all means. 

That's the best indeed, no matter what I keep enjoying if I don't have that six hours sleeping time, stress wouldn't be relieved. I'll feel dizzy all day and illness will breakthrough due to lack of adequate rest. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

As much as I enjoy playing video games, if I'm being very honest to answer your question here, my best source of stress relief would be SLEEPING!! It works like magic by all means. 

I mean, yeah I honestly love sleeping. I hate when I don't get enough of it. But there are days that I sleep too much and in turn it makes me more tired lol. I always look forward to sleeping at night though. 

Anyway is there a game that has released stress for you personally? Like your go to game for stress relief?

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Anyway is there a game that has released stress for you personally? Like your go to game for stress relief?

In that case, there are few games that checks that mark for me. They are ;

1. Unpacking 

2. Zenge

3. Alto’s Odyssey

4. Prune 

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

Gaming is one of them, seeing a good movie too or just listening to good music works the purpose for me.

For sure. I use gaming a lot to help me, by it I also enjoy other forms of media to help with my stress and depression. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

In that case, there are few games that checks that mark for me. They are ;

1. Unpacking 

2. Zenge

3. Alto’s Odyssey

4. Prune 

I loved unpacking. It's one of those games that was really relaxing to me. 

To answer the topic title i'd say hiking works best for me to relief stress, preferable alone. Gaming may be a close second to sometimes work out your frustration but nothing comes close to hiking in the middle of nowhere for me because after a 10-15 mile hike you'll come a different person. It's like all the negative feelings make room for only positives ones after a decent hike.

The vgr forums are even stress relieving imo because typing this post puts a smile on my face.

Edited by Yaramaki

Gaming is a good stress relief, but not the best. With gaming I can go into it and just start killing as much as I want.

But the best stress relief is my baby, Lady. Fur babies are the best stress relief. I can be having the worst day imaginable, but all I have to do is hold her, and the whole world is all right again.

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

For sure. I use gaming a lot to help me, by it I also enjoy other forms of media to help with my stress and depression. 

I loved unpacking. It's one of those games that was really relaxing to me. 

Yeah, Unpacking is pure beauty. If you noticed, it's the number one on my list, it beats every other relaxing video games that I have played on that selection. 

Stardew Valley is another one that I forget to add to the list too. It's very good as well.