Register Now
Kane99

Video games with time travel

What are some good games that feature time travel? Like ones where the plot relies on time travel in some way. Maybe you have to travel in the past to take out a dictator, or make sure a bad guy is never born. 

I remember a game where you could travel back in time, and I think one moment was in the civil war. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I don't recall if it was any good though. 

What are some good ones worth checking out? Are there even any games that rely heavily on time travel? Does time splitters user time travel?

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Now that I think about it, time travel isn't something that comes up very often as a theme in games, but it can have a real impact when it's done well. Zelda OOT and the first Life is Strange come to mind, and they were both fantastic. The both also handled the time travel concept in a very different way.

I completely forgot life is strange has elements of time travel. I still need to play the sequel. I heard mixed things about that one though. 

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia both feature time travel as a main mechanic.

Nice, I'll have to check them out. I think I played 5 min of Chrono Trigger. Will def have to check it out again. 

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Now that I think about it, time travel isn't something that comes up very often as a theme in games, but it can have a real impact when it's done well. Zelda OOT and the first Life is Strange come to mind, and they were both fantastic. The both also handled the time travel concept in a very different way.

Life is strange is one of the best time travel mechanics I'd played, though there are others too, that are great.

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia both feature time travel as a main mechanic.

I've heard so much about time chrono trigger as a classic game, I think I'll have to "pull the trigger" and try it out sometime I think. 😁

20 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I completely forgot life is strange has elements of time travel. I still need to play the sequel. I heard mixed things about that one though. 

Nice, I'll have to check them out. I think I played 5 min of Chrono Trigger. Will def have to check it out again. 

@kane99 you can check out deathloop too, now that is some definite time travel to advance the plot. 😉

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/

header.jpg?t=1652365819

Edited by Gonassis

Yeah death loop was one I wanted to try, will have to check it out. 

I just remembered Braid as well. That had an option to rewind and I think to even fast forward time. I don't know if I could go back and replay it. Got pretty frustrated at times with that one. 

Seems like i'm late to the party as chrono cross, radiant historia and zelda ocarina of time have already been mentioned. But where is Earthbound, anybody?

Couple of others i can think are the steins gate visual novels, Steins; gate elite got an english release but there are a couple othere out there atleast on the japanese 360 no idea if those got an english release or not but probably not since i never heard of it.

Probably the best game that can possible be mentioned here that you probably never heard of that includes time travel is 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim you go as far as the 2105. It's a really good game well worthy of your time, it's made by vanillaware so you know it's going to be good. It got released recently on switch aswell which may be the best platform to play it on.

Obviously Back to the future : the game by Telltale would be a no brainer aswell and what about the socalled blockbuster Xbox one exclusive Quantum break which time seems to have forgotten. Also let's not forget that Dishonored 2 had a bloody brilliant time travel mechanic in the  Stilton Manor level where you pick up a device that takes you back 3 years in time, you can use it to your advantage to kill enemiers are avoid them all together.

Also feels like we should give Titanfall 2 and it's exellent campaign a shout out, where you can warp between times in certain levels to position yourself or reach a certain platfomr, been a while since i've played it but as far as my oppinion counts Titanfall 2 has one of the best single player campaings in any fps. 

Couple of older titles titles that are worth mentioning would be the Prince of persia reboot by ubisoft in the mid 2000's well until the first ac game came out where you had the Dagger of time that you could use to your advantage. Who remembers microsoft attempt back in the day at creating an official mascot with the duo of Blinx: the time sweeper games.

A last one i feel like mentioning that includes time travel that i personally have found memories off is Shadow of Memories by konami, i played the game back in the day and was really blown away by it, it probably got me exited because the reviewer mentioned the game was a darker version of shenmue and that probably got me sold on the game, not sure that would work in todays world tough. It also got a release on psp years later, while i own it like so much other games never got around to it.

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Probably the best game that can possible be mentioned here that you probably never heard of that includes time travel is 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim you go as far as the 2105. It's a really good game well worthy of your time, it's made by vanillaware so you know it's going to be good. It got released recently on switch aswell which may be the best platform to play it on.

In as much as I haven't played much of this game I think it's a really good game and would be worth playing for anyone who enjoys sci-fi games.

I am planning on getting it on my switch soon so I would get a full experience as opposed to playing it once in a while at my buddies crib.

20 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Seems like i'm late to the party as chrono cross, radiant historia and zelda ocarina of time have already been mentioned. But where is Earthbound, anybody?

Couple of others i can think are the steins gate visual novels, Steins; gate elite got an english release but there are a couple othere out there atleast on the japanese 360 no idea if those got an english release or not but probably not since i never heard of it.

Obviously Back to the future : the game by Telltale would be a no brainer aswell and what about the socalled blockbuster Xbox one exclusive Quantum break which time seems to have forgotten. Also let's not forget that Dishonored 2 had a bloody brilliant time travel mechanic in the  Stilton Manor level where you pick up a device that takes you back 3 years in time, you can use it to your advantage to kill enemiers are avoid them all together.

Also feels like we should give Titanfall 2 and it's exellent campaign a shout out, where you can warp between times in certain levels to position yourself or reach a certain platfomr, been a while since i've played it but as far as my oppinion counts Titanfall 2 has one of the best single player campaings in any fps. 

Couple of older titles titles that are worth mentioning would be the Prince of persia reboot by ubisoft in the mid 2000's well until the first ac game came out where you had the Dagger of time that you could use to your advantage. Who remembers microsoft attempt back in the day at creating an official mascot with the duo of Blinx: the time sweeper games.

A last one i feel like mentioning that includes time travel that i personally have found memories off is Shadow of Memories by konami, i played the game back in the day and was really blown away by it, it probably got me exited because the reviewer mentioned the game was a darker version of shenmue and that probably got me sold on the game, not sure that would work in todays world tough. It also got a release on psp years later, while i own it like so much other games never got around to it.

I'm forgetting about so many games, I remember Dishonored had some time mechanics too correct? it wasn't only DIshonored 2 was it? And Quantum Break for sure, but I don't care too much for that game these days. I'll have to check out most of these games now. Played Titanfall 2 ages ago, not sure I ever want to revisit it. 

Titanfall 2 does some of the same style stuff that Singularity did really well. The whole game isn’t based around it, but the parts that are are insanely fun. Not to mention it’s just an all around great game.

So far, my favorite game with time travel incorporated in it is Zelda OoT. I know @Shagger already mentioned it, so initially I wasn't going to reply. But OoT is such a classic, (and one of the most popular in the franchise) that I finally decided I had to. Being that you're required to travel back and forth through time, it's just amazing. I'm sure that all Back To The Future games out there involve time travel. I've never played one, or even seen the movies, but I know the premise of them.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

Titanfall 2 does some of the same style stuff that Singularity did really well. The whole game isn’t based around it, but the parts that are are insanely fun. Not to mention it’s just an all around great game.

I remember hearing about singularity. I heard it was kinda a flop. But I did like the time travel aspects. And I think you could jump into people's heads and can control them. Or maybe that was another game, I forget. 

Prince of Persia : The Sand of Time is a very good example of a game that made use of time traveling mechanics which was enabled by the use of the dagger. The dagger helps the Prince of Persia to rewind and slow time. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Prince of Persia : The Sand of Time is a very good example of a game that made use of time traveling mechanics which was enabled by the use of the dagger. The dagger helps the Prince of Persia to rewind and slow time. 

Yeah Prince of Persia is a good pick as well. I remember hearing great things about it when it came out, but sadly I have never played the Sands of Time game, or any of the recent ones that came out like 10-20 years ago at this point. I'll have to check them out one of these days. 

On 8/22/2022 at 6:18 PM, Heatman said:

I think that was exactly the same story as the movie, the dagger had the abilities to turn back time.

Did you watch the movie as well?

I didn't get to play the game but it was quite popular.