Register Now
Kane99

Breaking Bad Creator Says He Tried To Make A Video Game Adaptation

Source of story here - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/breaking-bad-creator-says-he-tried-to-make-a-video-game-adaptation/1100-6506313/

In all honesty, I would have bought a Breaking Bad game day one if it was ever a reality. And according to Vince Gilligan himself, he had contemplated making a video game based off his hit show. He also thought of the idea because of how popular GTA is, and he figured Breaking Bad as a video game would work in that way. He even asked his team about getting a hold of the creators (Rockstar) into making a Breaking Bad game. 

How cool would that have been? I doubt it would have happened, but I could see someone making a Breaking Bad game. I just don't know how it would work in the BB story. Maybe it can be about a side character working for Gustavo Fring. There's a lot that could probably be done. And who's to say it has to be a BB game, it could be a spin-off in that world, kind of like what Better Call Saul is. But they can tie the game into that story in some way. 

What do you think? 

Breaking Bad is a great TV show, but it is not the sort of thing that would translate into a video game very well. Even as a GTA clone I wouldn't see it working. This also just isn't something the world needs anyway, especially it if were to be a GTA clone.

Edited by Shagger

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

Breaking Bad is a great TV show, but it is not the sort of think that would translate into a video game very well. Even as a GTA clone I wouldn't see it working. This also just isn't something the world needs anyway, especially it if were to be a GTA clone.

True, but it doesn't necessarily need to follow the show. It could be its own story with different characters. Or it could be a completely new take not having anything to do with the show. As well, if Vince Gilligan is interested in doing a game, maybe he can work on a whole new game with a different name and plot. It doesn't have to be Breaking Bad in name either. But I could see it selling more if it was titled in such a way. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I cant really see Breaking bad as a videogame, maybe like an interactic novel.

GTA is more about parody, dark humor and overall violence and action and BB is more about the story itself, there is very little relation other than drug activity.

Maybe it was a good thing that it was never released

Idk, GTA these days is a lot more serious than past iterations. Especially with GTA V. It has it has its humor, but is very serious for the most part. And I think any future GTA would be even more serious. GTA Online though can be as crazy as it wants to be though. But single player it will probably focus on a more serious storyline, much like GTA IV and GTA V did. 

If he/she will go on making the game different and not kind of GTA clone, then it will be worth it that way. I can't fancy my hands playing same game with any GTA game, I'm not in a support of cloning another person's or company's intellectual arts. 

Edited by Justin11

I'll apologise for the tone of this post as I'm hot and bothered, but not the message. Let's improve the quality of our contributions to this thread, and all others, please.

I could see this working as a Telltale game given the amount of close calls the characters come to arrest, death or just having identities discovered. It was particularly interesting for Walter 'Heisenberg' White to maintain his civilian identity given he's married, his brother-in-law works in the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and he's a school teacher with one of his students being a meth dealer.

The problem about the game is that it's done all it needs to do: any other arcs can and will be covered in a spin-off TV show because the Breaking Bad universe is too big to not capitalise on. So what would the game do differently? A fully digitised New Mexico? OK, but that's not going to work with the story of the show. With Jesse Pinkman on the run? What's he going to do that he didn't in El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie didn't? We go around shooting people as Mike Ehrmantraut? If he's not old, he's not Mike Ehrmantraut.

There is a case for a Breaking Bad video game, but the immediate answers are the ones we're not going to get. I bet we'll get something like a Narcos-style game: isometric tactical raids on Los Pollos Hermanos, or a Tropico-style management sim with meth.

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

If he/she

He. Vince Gilligan. It says it in the title of the article and in Kane99's original comment.

If he/she will go on making the game different and not kind of GTA clone, then it will be worth it that way.

How will it be better by not being a Grand Theft Auto clone? What sort of game would you like to see Breaking Bad adapted into?

I'm not in a support of cloning another person's or company's intellectual arts. 

That's pretty much how we got the games we do today. We wouldn't have Roguelikes/lites without Rogue. We'd have no Call of Duty without Doom. We'd have no Elder Scrolls without Ultima. We wouldn't have Grand Theft Auto without the Miami Vice game of '86.

'Cloning' in this instance does not mean a 1:1 copy; most users here mean 'clone' to mean an open world game set in the Breaking Bad universe, likely with a lot of gunplay and vehicle physics.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Never seen the TV series and so I do not know the full story and whatnot, but if he does or do not then it might be a epic and great resuilts. 

Please could you elaborate on this comment? What makes you think what they "do or do not" "might be an epic or great result?" What is your opinion based upon?

Edited by Withywarlock

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

If he/she will go on making the game different and not kind of GTA clone, then it will be worth it that way. I can't fancy my hands playing same game with any GTA game, I'm not in a support of cloning another person's or company's intellectual arts. 

That's the thing, it doesn't have to be a GTA clone. That was just what Vince Gilligan thought of, because both properties are crime dramas. They could make a GTA clone in that world, but my guess is that it would be less open world and more linear than anything. I can't see a BB game being open world, as I think they'd want the focus to be more on the story than the game itself. That's what I think anyway. 

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'll apologise for the tone of this post as I'm hot and bothered, but not the message. Let's improve the quality of our contributions to this thread, and all others, please.

I could see this working as a Telltale game given the amount of close calls the characters come to arrest, death or just having identities discovered. It was particularly interesting for Walter 'Heisenberg' White to maintain his civilian identity given he's married, his brother-in-law works in the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and he's a school teacher with one of his students being a meth dealer.

The problem about the game is that it's done all it needs to do: any other arcs can and will be covered in a spin-off TV show because the Breaking Bad universe is too big to not capitalise on. So what would the game do differently? A fully digitised New Mexico? OK, but that's not going to work with the story of the show. With Jesse Pinkman on the run? What's he going to do that he didn't in El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie didn't? We go around shooting people as Mike Ehrmantraut? If he's not old, he's not Mike Ehrmantraut.

There is a case for a Breaking Bad video game, but the immediate answers are the ones we're not going to get. I bet we'll get something like a Narcos-style game: isometric tactical raids on Los Pollos Hermanos, or a Tropico-style management sim with meth.

A telltale game would be great. They've done one for Game of Thrones and I could see it working for a story like BB. And true, BB has covered all the bases and the story is done. But, we have Better Call Saul, which is nearing its end, and El Camino was a movie that continued the story in some regards. 

It also doesn't need to be a game specifically about the main BB show. It could be a spin-off like how Better Call Saul is, or it could be a smaller story, like how El Camino was. 

I could see a game in the world of BB, a spin-off, a prequel, a side story during the show, etc. It could be done, it's just a matter of what they want to do. I never would expect a game that retells the same story. I think with Vince Gilligan is that he wants to tell new stories, so if anything, if this were to ever happen, it'd be a story within that world rather than a continuation or remake. 

Also, if they do ever make a game, Vince has to be the one in charge, and writing it of course. 

It's very obvious that making a Breaking Bad video game was an impossible task and that's why Vince Gilligan only ended it as just only a thought. He must have made all the necessary research and leap into it and know that it's not going to work and should he try forcing it, it's going to be a massive failure with great loss of resources. 

Breaking bad would generally just focus on making drugs and killing people XD Like 1/100th storyline of GTA butttt I think its possible if it was ran somewhat like an MMORPG where you leveled up by cooking meth and selling it, or like a Moba style drama where you get to choose a character for a 30 minute period and whoever cooks the most meth or sells it wins, but it would just be a minigame.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, NightmareFarm said:

A GTA style BB game would have been sick.

It's never a good idea in my opinion when trying to copy another game to develop a different franchise. There's going to be a lot of loopholes in the game and that's not going to be good for the new game. It's exactly what would have happened to BB if it copied GTA game style. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

It's never a good idea in my opinion when trying to copy another game to develop a different franchise. There's going to be a lot of loopholes in the game and that's not going to be good for the new game. It's exactly what would have happened to BB if it copied GTA game style. 

That happens all the time in gaming. That's why you get soulslike, bamham like games, DMC like games. Some of which are pretty good.