Register Now
The Blackangel

Is there a platform you hate?

Why would you hate a platform? Unless it has hurt your feelings...

The correct wording would be your least favourite platform. My least favourite platform is the Nintendo Switch. It is nowhere near PS4 or Xbox One level and I don't really understand the hype. It is overrated, in my opinion.

I'm with you 100% on hating Xbox. The first console I had was actually the original Xbox and it wasn't long before I switched to PS. The biggest thing with the Xbox that I can't get used to is handling the controller. I'm also not fond of Microsoft running things.

On 7/30/2020 at 5:47 AM, DudeThatsErin said:

Nope! I have used Linux, Mac, and Windows and I like them all. I don't have a preference and I don't hate or dislike any of them. They each serve their own purpose and fulfill their own needs.

Linux has future for the gaming but as of now it is not really a good platform worth having from what I have noticed. 

On 12/14/2019 at 11:44 PM, Crazycrab said:

Yeah I despise that to, but even there it's not exactly the platform that's to blame.  Especially when you consider how many of these cash cows are on PC and consoles as well now.

I understand what you're saying and you're right. However, the cash cows in the mobile gaming industry don't get called out nearly as often as the ones on PC or consoles. besides that, the cash cows on the mobile platform will spend up to $150,000 on a single game. We even had a thread about this a year back.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, Cumulus said:

I'm not overly fond of Playstation as a platform: Just find the UI a little over-complicated. Then again, I'm a bigger fan of PC than console-based gaming overall

PC is the lifeforce of the universe...wait wrong script...I mean PC gaming is the life blood of the gaming industry. Without it, no games could be developed.

I can't think of any platforms I hated. I wasn't a fan of the virtual boy, or the a few others consoles, but I can't think of anything I outright hate or can't stand. Well, maybe Google Stadia, I can't judge it yet, as I never had the chance to try it out. But I'm going to suspect it's not good, especially with that small library of overpriced games. 😄

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

PC is the lifeforce of the universe...wait wrong script...I mean PC gaming is the life blood of the gaming industry. Without it, no games could be developed.

That's short sighted. Computers have been used to develop games for decades, but people are far to quick to forget modern game development is far younger, and if it wasn't for the development of home console hardware within that time, PC Gaming as we know it, would simply wouldn't exist. But consoles play an even more important role than that.

Let's be honest, PC gaming is expensive (and it is, I'm not prepared to debate that. I'll explain it, like I'm about too, but not debate it.) and it's expensive because hardware manufacturers have to make a hardware profit as they don't gain any sustainable income from software sales, and that's whare you make money in the gaming industry, now more than ever. Microtransactions, sales of games, DLC and subscriptions is whare the real money is made, and the company that made your PC's power supply or motherboard don't see a penny from that. That's why the console giants like Microsoft and Sony over the last 2-3 console generations can sell their hardware with barely breaking even, or sometimes even at a loss.

Now, I know what some people may be thinking reading that, what has any of that got to do with my aforementioned "critical role" the consoles play in sustaining the gaming industry? Well, it's very simple.

This helps keep gaming, both on console and PC, affordable, for both the consumer and industry by holding game development back. PC fanboys would undoubtedly challenge this compliment, but that the existence of consoles sustains the survival of thier platform more than any other factor, and that is the truth. 

Think about it, if the PC as a gaming platform was suddenly the only option, the plug that so many PC Fanboys claim hold back PC development would disappear. I not only don't deny that plug exists, I would go further as to say we all count on it. 

First off, computer hardware manufacturers make console components as well. For example, AMD may only make $100 or less from each sale of a PS5, but that's still $100 over what will likely be around 100,000,000 sales over the next 5-10 years. Getting that sustainable income is well worth it for these companies, especially when it is a sustainable percentage earned through contract. That helps keep these kind of companies successful, bringing me onto my next point.

The simple statement that these companies cannot rely on PC hardware sales alone to remain sustainable. They would not be able to weather this by selling PC hardware alone because not every country and every economy can support enough households to buy this more expensive hardware, and even if they could, said households wouldn't necessarily be willing to by into PC gaming as it does have it's drawbacks. Lack of physical media, exclusive titles, consumer doupts over game ownership and not to mention the higher up-front cost. That shrinks the market for video game hardware, and thus, software. So, what would the industry have to do? Raise prices for software (and possibly hardware) even more, shrinking an already shrunk market.

This escalating cost of gaming would not stop because that aforementioned plug on the cost of game development, the console, would be gone. There is an elitist and sadly loud attitude shared by PC gaming community that would demand games that ever justify the increased (and increasing) cost of thier hardware, third party games (and it would only be third party games) would have to get more expensive to own through even higher prices and/or even more bullshit monotisation because of a higher cost in game development. 

I'd predict that the entire gaming industry would become to expensive for all concerned and it would all basically collapse. And all for this for fanboy nonsense and a vain demand for graphics that are already hitting a glass ceiling that more and more power is going to improve less and less?

That's why I hate fanboyisum, especially on PC. If thier arrogance, ignorance and short sighted stupidy was followed, it can only end badly. I genuinely believe that consoles play an important part in keeping gaming sustainable and affordable for all of us. 

Edited by Shagger

On 1/7/2021 at 2:58 AM, killamch89 said:

Haha I agree. PC Gaming is a core part of the gaming industry: Will always stick by that! 

On 1/7/2021 at 7:45 AM, Shagger said:

That's why I hate fanboyisum, especially on PC. If thier arrogance, ignorance and short sighted stupidy was followed, it can only end badly. I genuinely believe that consoles play an important part in keeping gaming sustainable and affordable for all of us. 

I think some games are better on console and I do agree they are a cheaper platform, but PCs still offer greater power and experience in my opinion

Hate is a very strong word for me but I understand exactly what you're trying to say. For me, it's going to be mobile games that I have least interest in playing with. Games on mobile phones are the last one I would play as the lowest on my scale of preference.