Register Now
The Blackangel

Do you ever look back and think "I was a dumbass"?

I remember back in the N64/PS1 era, I was initially personally opposed to playing FF8. Hear me out on this one. I was used to playing games that followed a specific map. Think games like Castlevania SOTN. Or Zelda OoT. Also any Mario Game. So when I looked at FF8 I wasn't wanting to play because I thought it was too "open" of a game. Meaning that the world was too big, and you could just circle the globe endlessly. With a game like that, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing next. And to be honest, with what I was used to, it kinda scared me. But now we have open end games like Skyrim, and I look at FF8 and think "I can't believe I thought that was such an open game".

Does anyone else ever think things like this?

The silliest things that I have done is in the FIFA series, specifically the career mode element as I have only completed a game save, maybe once or two. My problem was I picked a team that was already really good, or one that I was not interested in so the game became very boring, very quickly. That meant that I would just start a new one and never actually have enough seasons completed to do something that worthy as a manager.

Maybe now as I am older I would try things differently, but sadly I have not bought FIFA in several years now.

Not being able to find the exit shortly after the assassination of Emperor Uriel Septim in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I spent my whole weekend looking around not realising the hidden entrance where the assassin came through was still open. I could've just reloaded a save but never thought to. For context, this was the tutorial zone. Not the best place to get stuck.

I don't think I've ever topped that moment.

Edited by Withywarlock

When I first saw Dune II at one of my friends, I thought: "What a boring and pointless game"

For the longest time I thought all RPGs are dumb, because it's all about assigning skill points and attributes in a menu, and games should be all action, not fiddling in menus.

this culiminated when I first played Mass Effect, as I outright refused to deal with skills and inventory, so I actually finished the game with level1 gear from the first map of the game. I can tell you one thing: It was extremely hard even on the easiest setting. Harder than playing the game on insanity difficulty normally.

I think the first RPG that I embraced and played as such was Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Edited by m76

One of my dumbest moments was naming save files in CKII very similar. So after playing each day for about 4h for around 10 days, I change to another save, to test out a way to make money I read online, and save it on the long save. I quit Crusader Kings II for a few months after that.

I've had countless dumb moments in games, I think most people do lol. There has been times where I will get stuck somewhere in a game, and I've looked everywhere, and then I look up a walk-through for that part, and find it's right there the whole time. I kind of blame it on my habit of skipping story sometimes in games. If it's a game I'm not particularity into, I will often skip dialog and other details. I rarely read notes in games, I'm too lazy to read and it takes me out of the game at times. Anyway, that's not the point. 

So, I will often miss something because I'm not paying close enough attention. 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kane99 said:

I've had countless dumb moments in games, I think most people do lol. There has been times where I will get stuck somewhere in a game, and I've looked everywhere, and then I look up a walk-through for that part, and find it's right there the whole time. I kind of blame it on my habit of skipping story sometimes in games. If it's a game I'm not particularity into, I will often skip dialog and other details. I rarely read notes in games, I'm too lazy to read and it takes me out of the game at times. Anyway, that's not the point. 

So, I will often miss something because I'm not paying close enough attention. 

So true - especially in Dark Souls games. You can't take anything for granted in Dark Souls title - nothing at all.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, Shole said:

One of my dumbest moments was naming save files in CKII very similar. So after playing each day for about 4h for around 10 days, I change to another save, to test out a way to make money I read online, and save it on the long save. I quit Crusader Kings II for a few months after that.

Ouch! Yeah we've all screwed up our saves like that at some point.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:56 AM, Withywarlock said:

Not being able to find the exit shortly after the assassination of Emperor Uriel Septim in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I spent my whole weekend looking around not realising the hidden entrance where the assassin came through was still open. I could've just reloaded a save but never thought to. For context, this was the tutorial zone. Not the best place to get stuck.

I don't think I've ever topped that moment.

Don't worry - it's a more common occurrence than you even realize lol

My girl made a screw up a couple days ago. She accidentally downloaded The new patch that fixes several glitches in RDR2. Like when you are in St Denis to get Jack back, you can take John (before or immediately after the graveyard) to safely ride around down past Blackwater into New Austin if you want to hunt every animal needed for the trapper. So she uninstalled the game. Apparently google said our games would still be saved on the hard drive, which they were. But the uninstall corrupted the files. So I lost like 60+ hours of gaming to get the best items, the best horses, the gold bars, all of it.

I. Was. PISSED.

If I hadn't done all that work, I wouldn't have cared, but I had 2 of the Arabians, almost all of the guns, including an extremely rare rolling block rifle, the legend of the east satchel, and almost all the camp upgrades. All that work for nothing.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

My girl made a screw up a couple days ago. She accidentally downloaded The new patch that fixes several glitches in RDR2. Like when you are in St Denis to get Jack back, you can take John (before or immediately after the graveyard) to safely ride around down past Blackwater into New Austin if you want to hunt every animal needed for the trapper. So she uninstalled the game. Apparently google said our games would still be saved on the hard drive, which they were. But the uninstall corrupted the files. So I lost like 60+ hours of gaming to get the best items, the best horses, the gold bars, all of it.

I. Was. PISSED.

If I hadn't done all that work, I wouldn't have cared, but I had 2 of the Arabians, almost all of the guns, including an extremely rare rolling block rifle, the legend of the east satchel, and almost all the camp upgrades. All that work for nothing.

Say what what what? What did I miss? I have RDR2 all set and ready to go with the latest update after having corrupted files twice. Is it that update that caused it? I have my old data saved and ready to go on it too. Now I'm scared. It wouldn't hurt me as much to just start over, but damn. I found some gems that I don't even remember where what was. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I. Was. PISSED.

Wow! That really sucks but I understand how you feel because I've had the same thing happen to me in numerous games throughout my time as a gamer. The effort and work it will take to get back to that point is going to be draining. Then again, you can try a different approach to how you play the game in this new playthrough.

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Say what what what? What did I miss? I have RDR2 all set and ready to go with the latest update after having corrupted files twice. Is it that update that caused it? I have my old data saved and ready to go on it too. Now I'm scared. It wouldn't hurt me as much to just start over, but damn. I found some gems that I don't even remember where what was. 

This makes me scared to go play it right now because I was planning on playing it on Monday but now...Yeah, I'm going to look into this before I do anything else. 

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I. Was. PISSED.

What console are you playing it on? If on the Xbox One, do you have cloud storage setup? Because if so, you can download your most recent saves from the cloud. There is a method of deleting your physical saves files and then re-downloading them from the cloud. I had to do that with a corrupt file. But I would look for guides online first just in case. 

If it's PlayStation 4, then I am not sure. 

I found that the game plays better on the PS4 than the Xbox. I have it on both, and I just didn't like how it played on Xbox. The controls are more smooth and natural on PS4. But as far as the save files are concerned, it's a bit of a moot point now, as we said fuck it and deleted them to start over completely. I most likely won't be playing on her system anymore, unless I just want to play on the big TV (75"). I'll play in my office on the small 32" TV that I use as my computer monitor.