Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where the main quest line is the least interesting to you?

I get like that with RDR2 more often than I would like.  Sometimes I’m enjoying the storyline, but a lot of the time I’m working on stranger missions, or things for camp, or something for myself and leaving the storyline for later. For example, the first two things I go for once we get out of the mountains and into chapter 2 (not a spoiler it’s required quickly) is the white Arabian, and the Legend Of The East satchel. Best horse in the game, and best satchel. Neither is particularly easy to get, but more than worth it. Catching, breaking, and taming a wild horse never is.

19 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I get like that with RDR2 more often than I would like.  Sometimes I’m enjoying the storyline, but a lot of the time I’m working on stranger missions, or things for camp, or something for myself and leaving the storyline for later. For example, the first two things I go for once we get out of the mountains and into chapter 2 (not a spoiler it’s required quickly) is the white Arabian, and the Legend Of The East satchel. Best horse in the game, and best satchel. Neither is particularly easy to get, but more than worth it. Catching, breaking, and taming a wild horse never is.

That's useful advice for when I start my first playthrough too, thanks!

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout3, Fallout4, basically every bethesda rpg. They are not even worth playing just for the main quest.

Mad max is like this too. I kust enjoyed playing it didn't really care for the main quest.

Also GTA games, Driver series. And Ghost Recon.

Most of them nowadays, but in fairness that's more a testament to how good side quest writing is. I often ponder if The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim would be as good if it scrapped the Dragonborn plot with solely the Empire-Skyrim civil war, but then I think it has to be offset by the Godawful main questline to stand out. How fun would Yakuza 0 be sans main plot, even though its side quests are great in their own right? Probably not as fun.

I think the main story is the binding agent - you don't necessarily want it, but you're fully conscious of something being absent when it's gone.

In terms of actual quest aspect and not the story with it? Death Stranding (delivering packages sucks but the story along each package and each quest being done was SOLID). Otherwise if it's both I'd have to say RDR2 or even GTA V, hard to vibe when it's always go to point A then B and repeat. 

Pretty much all of the Just Cause games, as I honestly did not care for the story or follow it. From 2 to 4, I didn't pay attention to any of the story. I just wanted to get back the game and destroy stuff. lol. That's all that game really is, a fun game to blow stuff up. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:42 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Are there games where you find the main quest line to be far less interesting than everything else in the game? I tend to feel this way about most open world games in general, but particularly about Skyrim.

Well, it's actually what you get in most open world games where you can decide what's important to you and play it that way with freedom and free will. 

51 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Well, it's actually what you get in most open world games where you can decide what's important to you and play it that way with freedom and free will. 

Or you just do what the hell you want instead of following the main story...

Just now, killamch89 said:

Or you just do what the hell you want instead of following the main story...

Exactly - that's how it is with most open world games. You get to decide what's important and not important for you to do. 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:12 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Are there games where you find the main quest line to be far less interesting than everything else in the game? I tend to feel this way about most open world games in general, but particularly about Skyrim.

Well, only one game is coming to my mind is subway surfers and temple run. These are mobile games, but are very boring. Don't know why so many people are fan of it. There is no objective or goal, just you have to run and collect coins. Even, I will also include minecraft in that list. 

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Well, only one game is coming to my mind is subway surfers and temple run. These are mobile games, but are very boring. Don't know why so many people are fan of it. There is no objective or goal, just you have to run and collect coins. Even, I will also include minecraft in that list. 

Haha, I actually enjoyed playing that game subway surfers and temple run when I was a lot younger. I used to link it up with my Facebook and play with friends to drag top scorer.