Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are you ever glad you saw spoilers?

I was exited to hear EA's Battlefront 2 would have a proper campaign mode, especially when the trailer for it indicated that it would be from an Imperial perspective. The game's now infamous launch and lookbox controversy stopped my buying it, but I figured I'd waif for a sale so I check out the campaign. Then I found out that the protagonist in the story turns to fight for the rebels before the campaign is even half done, which was great because I was now out of reasons to buy that piece of shit. 

I don't seek out spoilers, I even avoid trailers for games that I already decided to buy. I want to experience everything first hand.
But sometimes seeing spoilers but especially the reaction of people to other spoilers makes me even more excited for games, not less.

An example of this would be The Last of Us II, I never actually saw the spoilers themselves but I saw the negative reactions and it made me laugh and got me all the more hyped up for the game. Sadly the side effect was that I could easily deduce the gist of the spoiler by the reactions alone. But since it wasn't a  major event in the game, just a conflict starter It wasn't an issue. It was even beneficial, because when it came I just ticked a box in my head "Yes, I've been expecting that, now on to why I was actually excited for the game"

I find whenever anyone says "the less you know, the better it is" immediately spoils the surprise. I know now to expect the unexpected. So, any games I mention going forward will instantly spoil it for you. Here goes. Undertale is a game where I massively benefit from knowing that the more you kill the more difficult the ending gets. I said sod that, and refunded the game. I was also glad to know that in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice the curse that spread up her arm was in fact pointless, existing only to scare the player into a false sense of permadeath; had I not known that my playthrough would've been almost entirely frustrating, rather than frustrating beyond the first half. After the first half it was just plain boring. And of course we can't forget to mention Spec Ops: The Line, where without the shock of its most infamous scene becomes a bit of a drag, and its ending has less shock value.

I suppose in the case of two of those games the spoiler comes from how critically you're thinking about the genre. It probably says more about the quality of general games discourse than the game itself when the shock is to not do what the genre has taught players to do successfully over the course of the decades it's been around.

So much spoilers about gaming is deliberately asking for, to be sure if I want to go and play watch it then go and do it. That's how I avoided the whole " Rey Skywalker " disaster and I'm so glad for it!

I'm also glad for spoilers in police novels/flicks. I hate guessing who is the killer and I'm actually more interested in the story and seeing what are the clues that lead to the big reveal. I don't know why myself. I think it's because I'm the kind of guy that like the journey better than the destination.

Glad  ina away but then at times not happy that I seen spoilers 🙂 with a sad face 😞