Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do games disconnect you from IRL or connect you to it in new ways?

It's a disconnect for me. It gets me away from the real world, which in turn gets me away from a lot of the stressful issues I face. Using a sword with perfect skill (Zelda), jumping on a horse and riding like the wind (RDR2), driving a tank in a nuclear subterranean realm (Blaster Master). Those are things out of possibility for me personally. The last one is also complete fiction. I can't go get on my horse. The swords I own, while fair quality, are beyond anything I have the strength to wield. Which is why when it comes to blades, I tend to stick to those around the size of the one in this pic. But I also tend to have my butterflies and stiletto on me as well.

IMG_1063.JPG

Edited by The Blackangel

On 4/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, StaceyPowers said:

A lot of us spend hundreds of hours playing games. Do you feel like the time you invest in gaming takes you away from RL, or connects you to it in different ways?

Good post! I have been having an incredibly difficult time staying interested in a game. I haven't been fully immersed in one for awhile now. To answer your question I do feel like it takes away from things I can be getting done in real life. Yard work, house work and all the many projects my Lady has lined up. I do miss just spending hours at a time on a game but I keep having real life things coming up. 

Both. In a way it connects me to the real world from the games that I play, which tend to be beautiful open worlds with human marvels. I mean, even though buildings, or ruins, homes, villages, technology etc. may not be real, but it reminds me of things man has created throughout history in real life. And how people survived without modern technology. How they battled. And scenery that may not be real in the game, but real life comparisons do exist. And I am fascinated by different cultures, which the games I play usually have interesting villages and crafts, and even things like marble quarries and mining, fishing, some guy doing pottery or playing an instrument. I can put myself there. Visually it may not be real, but similar things do exist in the world. And I have a wild imagination and gaming fills that appetite. I like to think about some of the games before falling asleep. It relaxes me as I fantasize about...fantasy. 

I say both because it also gives me escapism. I was never big into magic stuff until some of the books I read. And now I can appreciate things like magic and it's just fun to think about. And gaming goes further than books because you can actually see it, real or not. And I love horror. Games bring an extra dimension to it that movies can't. And that fear is real!!! Movies don't get me jumpy like a game can. 

2 hours ago, DarthVanity said:

Good post! I have been having an incredibly difficult time staying interested in a game. I haven't been fully immersed in one for awhile now. To answer your question I do feel like it takes away from things I can be getting done in real life. Yard work, house work and all the many projects my Lady has lined up. I do miss just spending hours at a time on a game but I keep having real life things coming up. 

Then you need to prioritize - the real world always takes precedence so you need to handle those responsibilities first and then you can play your video games. That way, you can concentrate on the game and nothing else. As a result, you'll enjoy the experience even more.

25 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Then you need to prioritize - the real world always takes precedence so you need to handle those responsibilities first and then you can play your video games. That way, you can concentrate on the game and nothing else. As a result, you'll enjoy the experience even more.

Good point! On that note I have been prioritizing real life over games. I haven't had any time for games and almost always I find myself not enjoying them as much as I used to only because I find something more productive to do with my time, for lack of a better way of saying it.

24 minutes ago, DarthVanity said:

Good point! On that note I have been prioritizing real life over games. I haven't had any time for games and almost always I find myself not enjoying them as much as I used to only because I find something more productive to do with my time, for lack of a better way of saying it.

There's nothing wrong with that - I know plenty of friends who were ardent gamers back in the day that no longer enjoy it or don't get much time to do it anymore. It's best to do what makes you feel contented and if it's more productive in your opinion, then go for it.

Disconnects is a word in itself. Gaming can relax and move away from whatever i going on in your world life. Gaming can at times be stress release or let rage off at shooting games. I do CSGO when not flying to get that bored and fedup out of me. 

When real life gets stressful I love to kick back and game. It's just such a great way to relax and forget about your issues for a little while. After a great gaming session, it's like you are refreshed and ready to tackle your real-life problems again. Sometimes all you need is a little break to do something you really enjoy.

Also, I've found that games can be a great way to connect with your loved ones. Especially during this pandemic. It is very easy to start up a Pictionary-style game virtually and play with your friends and family online. 

On 4/24/2021 at 12:08 AM, StaceyPowers said:

A lot of us spend hundreds of hours playing games. Do you feel like the time you invest in gaming takes you away from RL, or connects you to it in different ways?

My gaming life is directly connected to my real life and not outside of it because it affects me in either positive or negative way depending on the reason for playing.