Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you feel like gaming is a luxury or a necessity in your life?

I won’t ask if gaming is a luxury or necessity in general—but for you specifically, which is it?

I would say it is a luxury in that I know I can technically live a fulfilling life without it, but a borderline necessity since it is a huge mental health help for me. Plus, I feel things at the top of Maslow’s pyramid of needs are still legitimately needs, and it helps fulfill those.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, The Blackangel said:

Being that since I'm on disability and have nothing but empty time, it's a necessity. I have to have something to fill that time or I would end up losing my mind. If I have nothing to occupy my hands and eyes, then I start having panic attacks.

That's a very interesting take and I can see why it's a necessity in your case.

luxury, hobby, relaxe, freetime, stress release. For some it's a place for them to stream to 500K people and make a living and job, for most it's for playing as hobby and luxury to have time passes away far more faster if you have nothing else to do. Plus can be a place to get away from real world.

This thread pretty much reflects my expectations. For the vast majority of people. In the end, it is little more than an arbitrary hobby and not something one needs to survive everyday life. But of course, there are exceptions, such as people in a similar situation as @The Blackangel. It can mean so much more than just a mere hobby in general as well. A catalyst for social interaction and expression. If it wasn't for gaming, it's very likely none of us would even be here. Yes, gaming is, at it it's core, a luxury and a hobby and nothing more, but that does not diminish how important it can be.

People tend to underestimate the importance of entertainment. Without distraction more people would give in to depression or despair. 

I could probably find other things to distract myself if there was no gaming, so to me it is a luxury, but in the greater scheme of things it is necessity.

Gaming is definitely a luxury in my life, but I would argue that it is a far more integral one than most. Many of my best memories over the years involve gaming either directly or indirectly. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed to admit that or not. xD