Register Now
StaceyPowers

My brain weirdly adjusts to poor graphics

Whenever I put in an older game, I’m momentarily startled by the lower graphic quality compared to more modern games I am playing. But after a few days, I don’t even notice it a lot of the time. It’s almost like my brain “fills in the details” or something. Do others experience this?

My perception of games doesn't change based on how long  I've played them. It's either good enough to start playing it or it isn't. Games that I played 20 years ago are different because I was already sold on them back then. I'd never be able to play games made in 1990s that I didn't originally played when they came out. Same way as retro inspired games have zero appeal to me. If you are going to make a game in 2020 then the graphics shouldn't look like something from 1990.

I'll definitely notice the difference between older and more modern titles. However, there is far more to a game than graphics and although I do care about graphics, gameplay mechanics, story writing and other factors influence my perception of a game even more.

20 years ago, I wouldn't really be bothered about how game graphics impacted on my perception about the game but with what influence the recent close to real life game graphics have progressed, I find it very hard adjusting to games with poor quality graphics. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

20 years ago, I wouldn't really be bothered about how game graphics impacted on my perception about the game but with what influence the recent close to real life game graphics have progressed, I find it very hard adjusting to games with poor quality graphics. 

I'm not going to lie, certain games do show their age in terms of graphics. Looking back at some games, I can't believe I thought some of these games were life-like at the time.

I remember being completely blown away by how life-like and wide open the N64 was when it came out. I couldn't believe it. Prior to that, unless the game was a top down view, games were all side scrollers. And that was the norm. But then the N64 hit and it was 360° view and life like on all games. Nothing was ever going to be able to surpass the graphical capabilities of that system.

Now we have games that are often more realistic and life-like graphically than a lot of live action movies.

I can go from playing RDR2 to Zelda 2 and suffer no issues due to the graphics. In my eyes, it's like watching The Shawshank Redemption and then the South Park movie. You don't need your eyes to adjust as one was live action drama and the other a cartoon.

Maybe that's because I play the old stuff all the time anyways?

I have a different perspective: if I want to play the game, I'll play it, regardless of its visual state. It might take a few attempts over the course of years, but I'll get there in the end because it'll do something that clicks. And if the graphics are worse and I can still make sense of it, that's the game providing me context through its cohesion. That's one of the greatest compliments I could give a game's graphical fidelity and art style: if I can clearly understand what I'm looking for despite its lower visual quality, and how quickly I did so.

There's nothing weird about anyone's enjoyment of a video game, and least of all their visuals. ^^

Edited by Withywarlock

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not going to lie, certain games do show their age in terms of graphics. Looking back at some games, I can't believe I thought some of these games were life-like at the time.

Yeah - it's a very clear fact because there are some you would see and you'd be like did I really played this years ago. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The brain usually fills in gaps to make sense of images so with poor graphics, the brain fills in the rest of the pixels. lol

It really bore my brain and myself to death looking at those graphics now. If I'm being very honest with you, I hardly stand it. 

1 hour ago, Family sedan said:

NASCAR '99 had bad graphics, but I watched so much racing that year that I can tell what they're trying to depict.

Yeah - NASCAR '99 didn't have much improvement in its graphics system but the general gameplay was very interesting.