Register Now
StaceyPowers

VR may help some people with mobility challenges

VR and AR is going to be like blessing for those people. Imagine you are on wheelchair and want to travel the world. Just plug it in and subscribe to some avatar who travels and get virtual feed and feel. But I think that tech would take time. I am sure even old people will live new life if this type of stuff gets created. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

VR and AR is going to be like blessing for those people. Imagine you are in wheelchair and want to travel the world. Just plug it in and subscribe to some avatar who travels and get virtual feed and feel. But I think that tech would take time. I am sure even old people will live new life if this type of stuff gets created. 

I don't have to imagine it unfortunately. I'm already in one. So, while it wouldn't be the same as the firsthand experience, I would be able to see things like Maccu Piccu, the Moai of Easter Island, Uluru, the Great Wall, and also natural wonders. The Amazon, an African safari, Bear Tower, and the Northern Lights(which is number one on my bucket list) just to name a few.

There's a lot of possibilities with VR. It can't give you the realities of it all, but im sure it can help people cope more with the disabilities. VR can also allow you to live in your own world, experience all kinda of things. I imagine VR like having a TV strapped to your head that you can sometimes control and be a part of. 

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I don't have to imagine it unfortunately. I'm already in one. So, while it wouldn't be the same as the firsthand experience, I would be able to see things like Maccu Piccu, the Moai of Easter Island, Uluru, the Great Wall, and also natural wonders. The Amazon, an African safari, Bear Tower, and the Northern Lights(which is number one on my bucket list) just to name a few.

Sad to know about mobility issue. I hope the VR in near future allows this. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

There's a lot of possibilities with VR. It can't give you the realities of it all, but im sure it can help people cope more with the disabilities. VR can also allow you to live in your own world, experience all kinda of things. I imagine VR like having a TV strapped to your head that you can sometimes control and be a part of. 

I think instead of the VR being some sort of headset. I suppose it'd be similar like the lens or current small VR headset that occulus has released. I am just not sure if the avatar type of system would be released in my lifetime as I am in 30s and I suppose that using avatar system would take longer time. 

Another great video on this. 

---

Sad to know about mobility issue. I hope the VR in near future allows this. 
---
while it wouldn't be the same as the firsthand experience, I would be able to see things like Maccu Piccu, the Moai of Easter Island, Uluru, the Great Wall, and also natural wonders. The Amazon, an African safari, Bear Tower, and the Northern Lights(which is number one on my bucket list) just to name a few.

Sorry about the mobility issue. 
It's already a reality with visiting those places. 
Wander and National Geographic Explore VR. 
Brink Travelor is the best one in my opinion though. It's the most immersive and you feel like you are actually there. 
You can't travel many places yet but the developers are adding more and more. 

Edited by Altair

On 2/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

VR would kill the tourism industry especially when Covid25 destroys the transportation industry. 

Yeah - the tourism industry would take a significant hit because most people wouldn't need much to virtually visit certain spots.

57 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah - the tourism industry would take a significant hit because most people wouldn't need much to virtually visit certain spots.

True, if done well then VR can easily replace a lot of travel. Nothing can truly replace the physical experience, but so many people don't have the means to travel and the next best thing would be VR. 

It will really help indeed, let's just cross our hands tighter and hoping that the creative minded souls go further and develop this ultra sensitive techs to make life comfortable for all, especially for the disabled individuals who finds movement hard. 

Depending on the type of disability, this info may help somebody some day:

VoiceAttack is less than $10 on Steam, and can be setup to convert voice commands into key-presses or joystick button presses. I'm not sure about VR hand controller buttons (yet), but many VR games also accept keybinds for some commands. Flight sims, etc.

Message me if you need help with it. Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but I know where they can be found!

Had it been I got someone who is suffering from disability and needs help, i would have refer them to you, so you can guide them and knowing how to manage disability and cope fine in the virtual world and also in the outer world.