Register Now
StaceyPowers

Will some people be “left behind” if VR becomes big?

People will always be behind and we can't close the gap all the time. There are people who are living life like people do in 90s. Some people still have those black and white non touch display phones. Some cant afford consoles, mobiles, laptops, or even desktop. Online payments, crypto, VR is not in reach of many people and some will choose not to touch either. It's like people choosing which matrix to live into and die. 

I think it all comes down to preference. you can choose to keep up with technology and current style and fads, or you can stick to the things you know and have loved for decades. It's why I'm a classic gamer. RDR2 is pretty much the only exception to that. I have a ton of modern/current gen games, but I don't play them anywhere near the amount of time I play my NES and SNES.

The big factor for me is price. VR isn't cheap right now, and it's not necessarily something everyone can go out and get. Same with new consoles and all that jazz. It will take time for the market to adapt and for people to take more interest. As well, most people need to realize that not everyone wants to mess with VR. Some people get headaches. Oh and most vr headsets require a good enough PC to run. So that's another issue. It's a costly hobby to get into. 

The reality of it all is that not a lot of people from other regions of the world outside the first world countries are even becoming really aware of Metaverse and virtual reality , not to talk of been able to afford it. So Yes there are people who would still be left out when VR becomes the massive thing.

As a current sufferer of motion sickness (one elevator ride keeps me swaying for the rest of the day) 😣 I'm thinking I probably wouldn't do too well with it.

But I do wonder if VR could become so popular in the future that people will become less and less in touch with reality, almost as a constant escape. The more and more that happens, the less people will feel like interacting with real people in the real world. In a way, becoming more socially withdrawn, unknowingly.

In general, I've noticed people's interactions in stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc. seem a little short and distracted. People don't really "talk" all that much anymore, well, not as much as they used to. Just a slight observation.. 

Edited by melanie_marie27

40 minutes ago, melanie_marie27 said:

As a current sufferer of motion sickness (one elevator ride keeps me swaying for the rest of the day) 😣 I'm thinking I probably wouldn't do too well with it.

But I do wonder if VR could become so popular in the future that people will become less and less in touch with reality, almost as a constant escape. The more and more that happens, the less people will feel like interacting with real people in the real world. In a way, becoming more socially withdrawn, unknowingly.

In general, I've noticed people's interactions in stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc. seem a little short and distracted. People don't really "talk" all that much anymore, well, not as much as they used to. Just a slight observation.. 

That's something I could see happening honestly. People being stuck in that VR world and needing it to feel good. But I think most people will go the VR route. It's just too expensive for most people. So I can see it being a small group of people. 

I prefer when people make conversation short when I'm out and about. I'm just not a people person, don't like conversing with most people lol. I also blame it on the pandemic and social distancing. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, Clasher said:

The reality of it all is that not a lot of people from other regions of the world outside the first world countries are even becoming really aware of Metaverse and virtual reality , not to talk of been able to afford it. So Yes there are people who would still be left out when VR becomes the massive thing.

Definitely, here in my country not everyone enjoys such kind of events via virtual reality. Infact, most people especially those given birth in early 40s-80s doesn't know about Metaverse and VR. It became common recently with people from late 90s, and early 2000s, just like that. It will even take time for it to reach 10% popularity here in my geography. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Definitely, here in my country not everyone enjoys such kind of events via virtual reality. Infact, most people especially those given birth in early 40s-80s doesn't know about Metaverse and VR. It became common recently with people from late 90s, and early 2000s, just like that. It will even take time for it to reach 10% popularity here in my geography. 

To be fair, I think most people who are born in those times here are less likely to be interested in the metaverse as well. My dad was born in 1952, and he has no idea about this stuff and probably wouldn't care. I can see a lot of people just not being interested in VR to begin with. And for older people, the metaverse probably sounds like a foreign language to them. 

On 8/27/2022 at 10:40 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

You're not wrong - ever since the pandemic, I've notcied a lot of people seem to lack the basic social interaction skills and etiquette. I mean it was noticeable before but the Quarantine period has affected a great number of people's social skills.