Jump to content
Register Now
Techno

Point and Click/Adventure Games

Recommended Posts

Does anyone else play these types of games or am I the only one? They're the old school computer game genre that was popular in the 90s. Something like Sam And Max, Broken Age, or Grim Fandango are examples of these types of game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to enjoy the more obscure and frankly deranged ones like Harvester (content warning for all manner of things below):

However I would like to get more into Broken Sword, and also try out the Monkey Island games for their Douglas Adams/Monty Python-esque humour. Those are the sorts of adventure game where despite their wackiness they at least make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I tend to enjoy the more obscure and frankly deranged ones like Harvester (content warning for all manner of things below):

However I would like to get more into Broken Sword, and also try out the Monkey Island games for their Douglas Adams/Monty Python-esque humour. Those are the sorts of adventure game where despite their wackiness they at least make sense.

That's a demented game I wouldn't mind playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

What the unholy fuck did I just watch? Is that actually a game or a seriously fucked up music video?

That is indeed a very real video game called Harvester, which did everything it could to spit in the eye of censors and critics of its time. The music video however is a parody of The Wurzel's hit song "I've got a brand new combine harvester."  It was up there as one of the first games to begin serious lasting discussion about violence in video games, especially due to the full motion video (FMV) and mixed use of practical and digital special effects.

Its artistic merits are far and few between, and as the lyrics say "oh when there's symbolism, there is no subtlety." Anything it has to say about political correctness, domestic violence, the conditions of slaughterhouses, and cult worship is totally blown up by its gratuitous violence. This is the sort of game people think Grand Theft Auto was/is.

There is something that is seriously messed up though, and I take no pleasure in discovering this news, nor missing it earlier before posting: the actor who played protagonist Steve, Kurt Kistler, was arrested for possession of something I'm not sure the rules will permit me to say or link to. He was also wearing a similar flannel shirt in his mugshot that he wore in game. "You were always such a kidder, Steve" doesn't seem so charming now.

8 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's a demented game I wouldn't mind playing. 

It's always cheap on Steam and GOG, so if it gets frustrating (and it sure can with the typical point-'n'-click combat controls that plagued games of its time) it's not a total waste.

I don't think the main protagonist's actor will see any of the royalties given the above, and honestly it'd be a pittance if he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I tend to enjoy the more obscure and frankly deranged ones like Harvester (content warning for all manner of things below):

However I would like to get more into Broken Sword, and also try out the Monkey Island games for their Douglas Adams/Monty Python-esque humour. Those are the sorts of adventure game where despite their wackiness they at least make sense.

 

Does anyone have a red-hot poker I could borrow because I want to shove it through my eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

used to play a ton of point and click games on my dad his old computer back in the day. Obviously i would only repeat others as those were the usual suspect like indiana jones, maniac mansion and kings quest to just name a few. One i will always have fond memories of and the first point and click game i managed to beat without any sort of guidance was Teenagent pretty underrated little game that you can actually download for free here

Offcourse during the ps1 area i was introduced to broken sword and something called ark of time that game toke me over 10 years to beat, horrible voice acting and unlogic puzzles at times but you know it still has it charms. Also first person games like atlantis and Amerzone ( first game of Benoit sokal rip of syberia fame and many comics ) were my jam back in the day.

I still play and buy em from time to time just on consoles these days, for a game like Thumbleweed park you can always wake me up at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played some, but I don't play them often. I played a little bit of the first monkey island game. But got stuck at one point and gave up. 

Usually it get stuck at a certain part of a point and click game and just give up. I did play one recently, called The Procession to Calvary. It was a weird point and click game, but was pretty funny at times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

I don't know if anyone remembered Blade Runner? It was the only one of such old Point and Click Adventure game that I can think of right now. 

 

 

I have heard about it, but never played it. I think there was a few blade runner games back then. I didn't play any of them, but I hear the point and click game is somewhat popular with fans. I might see if there's a way to play it online. Maybe the way back machine has a dos version of the game I can play. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I have heard about it, but never played it. I think there was a few blade runner games back then. I didn't play any of them, but I hear the point and click game is somewhat popular with fans. I might see if there's a way to play it online. Maybe the way back machine has a dos version of the game I can play. 🙂

The game Blade Runner being set in a cyberpunk world, its narrative and characters was something that made it stood out then. It's even what contributed for more point and click adventure games to be released with Encodya as a typical example. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, Heatman said:

I don't know if anyone remembered Blade Runner? It was the only one of such old Point and Click Adventure game that I can think of right now. 

 

 

I really don't understand what all the hate is about the enhanced version is really good I like it + you get the original game & restored content version free. Even without the free original version it's worth 9.99 & before people start to say you never played the game before i have the original 4 disk game in the case with all the original packaging from the 90s its opened & still works...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Empire said:

I really don't understand what all the hate is about the enhanced version is really good I like it + you get the original game & restored content version free. Even without the free original version it's worth 9.99 & before people start to say you never played the game before i have the original 4 disk game in the case with all the original packaging from the 90s its opened & still works...

I don't know what others feel about the game but as far as I'm concerned, both the old and enhanced versions of the game were very good for me and I enjoyed playing them whenever I had time for it. I understand that gamers preferences differs, that's why I don't bother too much about their opinion on the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, Heatman said:

I don't know if anyone remembered Blade Runner? It was the only one of such old Point and Click Adventure game that I can think of right now. 

 

 

This title sounds really familiar maybe because it sounds like the vampire movie - blade, but I know I have heard something about this game but I have never played it.

What is the game like , would like to get your review since you've Played it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

This title sounds really familiar maybe because it sounds like the vampire movie - blade, but I know I have heard something about this game but I have never played it.

What is the game like , would like to get your review since you've Played it.

I have a more detailed review of the game that's going to give you a complete breakdown on everything that you need to know about the game. 

You can watch it in the review below. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...