Register Now
NightmareFarm

Favourite and least favourite game studio?

Favourite: Obisidian Entertainment. I'd like to say Insomniac but due to sexual misconduct allegations I'd feel uneasy choosing them. Obsidian Entertainment at least decided to remove Chris Avellone for his many allegations (among other disagreements with upper management). They don't make technically competent games, but they at least make games I enjoy.

Least Favourite: Blizzard Entertainment. The few decent people there aren't able to execute their passion and interest in creating good video games, and the rest are either raking cash in from cynical practices, treating their fellows inappropriately, or both. It's absolutely worse under Activision's reign, who should be held accountable, but I can't imagine Blizzard being the jewel of the industry for long if they weren't acquired. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and all that.

Can you elaborate on your choices, @NightmareFarm? I'm only familiar with Naughty Dog, and I think they make quite good games even if they're not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

Favourite: Obisidian Entertainment. I'd like to say Insomniac but due to sexual misconduct allegations I'd feel uneasy choosing them. Obsidian Entertainment at least decided to remove Chris Avellone for his many allegations (among other disagreements with upper management). They don't make technically competent games, but they at least make games I enjoy.

Least Favourite: Blizzard Entertainment. The few decent people there aren't able to execute their passion and interest in creating good video games, and the rest are either raking cash in from cynical practices, treating their fellows inappropriately, or both. It's absolutely worse under Activision's reign, who should be held accountable, but I can't imagine Blizzard being the jewel of the industry for long if they weren't acquired. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and all that.

Can you elaborate on your choices, @NightmareFarm? I'm only familiar with Naughty Dog, and I think they make quite good games even if they're not my cup of tea.

Arc sys work is my fav because they make consistently top tier fighting games. I really like their deep air dasher combat stlye and anime visuals compared to other FGs which just feel bland in comparison. 

My least favourite is naughty dog because their games look very dull and I don't like the slow cinematic story heavy trend they set for modern gaming with Uncharted games and TLOU.

Edited by NightmareFarm

15 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Favourite - Arc System Works. 

Just wondering any game in particuliar you favour that came from arc system works? I'm kinda out of loop with them after they went Playstation only for a few of their releases but from memory i've always enjoyed their blazblue and their older guilty gear titles.

Capcom should arc system works the street fighter license i'm sure it would be an instant classic in no time.

I've stopped playing favorites a long time ago, there were so many personnel changes and restructuring at every studio that even the most trusted ones are prone to disappoint. Like Polyphony with Gran Turismo 7.

I like Teyon at the moment for their no-nonsense approach, their games while don't seem ground breaking clearly made with the right mindset, showing respect to the material they are working with. Their Terminator game was really on point, and their upcoming Robocop game seems equally good.

My least favorite developer is anybody doing play to earn and NFT games.

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Just wondering any game in particuliar you favour that came from arc system works? I'm kinda out of loop with them after they went Playstation only for a few of their releases but from memory i've always enjoyed their blazblue and their older guilty gear titles.

Capcom should arc system works the street fighter license i'm sure it would be an instant classic in no time.

Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragon Ball Fighterz are my favourite productions from them. Blazblue is the one game that I don't particularly enjoy that much but its somewhat enjoyable its not a bad fighter, it just feels like it borrowed way too much from Guilty Gear, it kind of feels like guilty gear but with the controls flipped on it's head and a few other tweaks. 

If Capcom did that the competitive scene would have a meltdown and it would lose a lot of sales from the casual fans as well who aren't due to the more complex gameplay and anime visuals. I think it should stay as it is as a simpler grounded neutral footsies based fighter with its urban style. I think It's better for each fighting game to have their own flair even though arc sys style FGs are my favourite.

Edited by NightmareFarm

My favourite AAA studio is Capcom. I feel like they're the only big Japanese studio to keep up with the times in terms of things like graphical fidelity, while still keeping true to many of their unique styles. My only wish is that they brought back and made Marvel vs Capcom and Megaman relevant again.

My least favourite AAA studio is probably Square Enix because of how consistently tone-deaf they are, with things like withholding the Pixel Remasters from consoles, and all-round pumping out a ton of random games of middling quality for the last few years, and their weird creepy NFT stance. Or Ubisoft for an easier answer.

My favourite indie studio is probably Yacht Club, since I'm really impressed with how they managed to make Shovel Knight into such a franchise, while never really sacrificing quality or identity or "selling out", and their new game looks fantastic and still very much fits their unique take on indie games.

Not sure if I have a least favourite indie studio, but probably one of those where the creators belittle their fans and constantly has to know best.

Edited by Tonberry
fleshing out

35 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

My favourite AAA studio is Capcom. I feel like they're the only big Japanese studio to keep up with the times in terms of things like graphical fidelity, while still keeping true to many of their unique styles. My only wish is that they brought back and made Marvel vs Capcom and Megaman relevant again.

My least favourite AAA studio is probably Square Enix because of how consistently tone-deaf they are, with things like withholding the Pixel Remasters from consoles, and all-round pumping out a ton of random games of middling quality for the last few years, and their weird creepy NFT stance. Or Ubisoft for an easier answer.

My favourite indie studio is probably Yacht Club, since I'm really impressed with how they managed to make Shovel Knight into such a franchise, while never really sacrificing quality or identity or "selling out", and their new game looks fantastic and still very much fits their unique take on indie games.

Not sure if I have a least favourite indie studio, but probably one of those where the creators belittle their fans and constantly has to know best.

I really like DMC games from Capcom. Street Fighter and Megaman are also pretty good. I don't really play any of their other IPs.

Favorites would probably be Rockstar when they're not being greedy, Ubisoft when they're not being greedy, Eidos, Naughty Dog, 2K (in some ways) and a few others I'm probably forgetting. 

Least favorites would probably be EA (when they develop games), and Activision. There are probably others though. 

My least favourite video game studio would be the horse shit called EA. There's nothing about EA that's worth being happy about now. 

My favourite one's would be Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Bandai Namco Entertainment and and Obsidian Entertainment. 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Favorite - Capcom  Honorable Mentions: Naughty Dog, Fromsoftware

Least Favorite: EA Games  Honorable Mentions: Activision, Ubisoft, 2k Games, Konami

2K Games have really ruined our ever sweet and enjoyable wrestling game. If I remembered how good our wrestling games used to be and what 2K Games have done with it, it pains me a lot. We can't see wrestling game like Smackdown Here Comes The Pain again ever.