Register Now
Techno

New Console

Most likely some big megacorporation, so my bet would be Amazon, Google, Disney, or Meta. Realistically, the number of companies that could release a new console today is pretty small. The R&D alone costs millions of dollars, and then you have to be big enough to lose hundreds of dollars on each unit sold until you start to see profits coming in from the sale of games.

I'd love to see SEGA and SNK get back into the home console business, but realistically, neither is really in a financial situation where they could.

Oh lol, didn't understand your question at first. I could see Amazon making their own console.  Maybe even Apple attempting to again. 

Or we could see a new Sega console one day. That'd be cool. 

Google I think could be possible, but after Stadia, I doubt it. 

15 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Oh lol, didn't understand your question at first. I could see Amazon making their own console.  Maybe even Apple attempting to again. 

Or we could see a new Sega console one day. That'd be cool. 

Google I think could be possible, but after Stadia, I doubt it. 

Apple would be a tricky one because they are caught up in so much computer and phone technology that they would wrap themselves in lawsuits like what Microsoft has gone through over the years to make sure they have fair business and consumer practices. I prefer a smaller company making a console. 

I doubt any company who could be a viable candidate to enter the console race would do it.

Google would never get off the ground with a console because they can't be trusted to support anything they make, and considering they closed down their game development studios prior to ending Stadia they don't even have the means to create content for their own platform no matter what form it takes.

Valve made the Steam Machine prior to the Steam Deck, which was their attempt at a console-like PC gaming experience but it sold poorly and was cancelled after three years, so they're not going to try again, especially with Steam Deck performing well for them.

NVidia could have been viable but they were doing the Steam Deck before Valve and as far as I know it didn't do well and died off. They also lack any game studios so like Google, would be unable to support a console with first party titles which are crucial for a console.

Amazon has their own game studios but they've only made two games, and I don't know how well those games have performed commercially but I never see them mentioned anywhere online so I get the impression they're not doing too well; certainly not enough to support a console launch. Considering Amazon doesn't even offer Luna (their cloud gaming service) as an independent service and bundles it in with Prime, and only offers a handful of games on it at a time for a limited period, they don't seem confident in being able to grow their own gaming ecosystem and the lack of attempt to try tells me they never would. They would also need to actually develop more games and have those games be highly acclaimed to even generate interest in a home console, because right now I don't think what Amazon has produced would entice anyone into a console from them.

Sega is likely the most viable of any because they have the studios to support a console with first party games, but I don't think it would be a good look for them to suddenly take all their IP and have them only on their console. I think you'd get some people willing to buy a console to keep playing those games but I feel a majority of people would just opt to not bother, or at least enough to make it hard for a Sega console to be financially successful.

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Apple would be a tricky one because they are caught up in so much computer and phone technology that they would wrap themselves in lawsuits like what Microsoft has gone through over the years to make sure they have fair business and consumer practices. I prefer a smaller company making a console. 

idk, I feel like they'd be able to jump in pretty fast. And if they make the games playable on mac books and other apple devices, even better. I don't see how it would be tough for them to do it. They have the technical knowhow to make a console. They already made one back in the 90s, so it's not like they can't. 

They would probably have it easy when it comes to setting up a new gaming brand. 

I hate it but it's gonna go online even more. I wouldn't doubt if the next x boxes and playstations will be all streaming. I know my internet isn't ready for that and a lot of places in USA are a nightmare regarding hi speed internet.I can stream u tube and shows but streaming is too much for my internet.I doubt if anyone besides MS and Sony and Nintendo are interested in  making consoles really.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm likely to think Nintendo, Valve, Sony or Microsoft because their consoles are the most popular amongst gamers and they make the best consoles on the market.

Do you see Nintendo making more table top consoles in the future, I could see a new table top console coming to Nintendo in the next couple of years and maybe they could make both handhelds and table top consoles.

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Do you see Nintendo making more table top consoles in the future, I could see a new table top console coming to Nintendo in the next couple of years and maybe they could make both handhelds and table top consoles.

Of course Nintendo are going to make more hybrid consoles - the Switch has brought them great success so they'd likely continue down that path.

4 hours ago, egghead said:

After the failure of Stadia, I do not think any big companies will release consoles. Streaming is the future of gaming.

I don't quite get what your saying, Stadia was a streaming service.  By your own point the complete opposite is true.