Register Now
The Overseer

Your most memorable moment in gaming?

When I was 12, my local movie theatre ran a Mario Kart: Double Dash tournament. This was still a couple of months before it released. I entered, this being my first tournament, and ended up placing 3rd overall (losing to two neckbeards in their 30s but whatever). I ended up winning a Gamecube and a copy of the game. It was incredible because suddenly I knew I was actually good? At these video game things? Plus my family weren't well off and couldn't afford a GC normally.

Since then I've entered a few more competitions, placing/winning a few and getting more prizes. I'm a little sad that Twitch wasn't a thing during my teenage years because I would have loved pursuing my gaming further on that platform. You gotta deal with the hand you're dealt, I guess.

It might have been that time I beat that pesky level on Pitfall Harry (on Atari).  I had been trying for weeks and never could!  Anyway, I'm sure there were plenty of other times.  I mean, I can think of all sorts of difficult bosses on Mario games.

Of recent memory I think it was while playing Undertale.

I had a bit of a shaky connection, so it would sort of drop in and out a bit. I remember playing up until the point where the game actually crashes on purpose, but when it did, my connection cut out. I legit felt like the game was haunted. Scared the crap out of me.

I always remember in the first Red Dead Redemption when you arrive in Mexico for the first time it plays this song by Jose Gonzales, "Far Away," and you just get to ride through this beautiful desert country-side just listening and taking it all in.  It just makes for a very beautiful and immersive moment in the game that always stuck with me. 

Finishing The Last Of Us is one of my most memorable moments in game. That gut-punch ending is so haunting and emotional. What a freakin' game!

Also, finishing Deadly Premonition was very memorable, as well. The ending really helped to cement itself as one of my all time fave games. 

I have many along the same theme. The amount of time I'd be stuck on a game for about a week, then wake up early on a Saturday morning and clock the bit and go on a run was insane. I must have been constantly sub-consciously distracted as a kid - but I always got there.

So yeah, my memory is sitting in a quiet house where everyone else is asleep and feeling so damn accomplished because, well, I finally did it.

As embrassing as it might sound, when I first tried the Minecraft Demo before my teens (11-12 years) I built a dirt house. Then, a zombie approached and I jumped out my skin, I was so scared. So yeah, this childhood-gaming memory has to be one of the funniest moments aswell as being memorable.

I think my most memorable moment in gaming would have to be a time when I played Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with friends and it was on a map called Villa. There was an area with tree's in the centre of the map and I remember all our team placed our C4's around the tree's and then one person blew their C4 and the whole lot went up. There was a huge flash and it killed around 3 people. We laughed so hard it was hilarious! 

Even  now I wish that we had game capture back then as that would have been the most amazing thing to see and play back even now! 

Can't say there are that many singular moments in video games that I can specifically recall. It's usually the whole experience.

• Climbing the WWII radio tower in Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Mass Effect 1's ending
  • Emerging from the sewers in Oblivion for the first time
  • The homeless level in Beyond Two Souls
  • System Shock 2's villain reveal