Register Now
skyfire

Violent Games and Teen Aggression Aren’t Linked?

8 hours ago, egghead said:

Preteens and teens can be heavily affected by the violence in the game, however, I do not think adults will be influenced by game violence. Preteens and teens cannot properly think and have hard time differentiating facts with fictions.

Most teens are left and exposed to playing violent video games.  No doubt in the past for me, I was exposed to violent games as a teen, it didn't affect me all that much as an adult now. 

17 hours ago, egghead said:

Preteens and teens can be heavily affected by the violence in the game, however, I do not think adults will be influenced by game violence. Preteens and teens cannot properly think and have hard time differentiating facts with fictions.

6 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I understand violent games has dude effect, it might make a child turn hostile when he turns an adult, but not mainly those who play violent games end up acting violently in the future. 

Do you have any proof of this?  I can't help but notice that none of the people posting here are ANY proof of this.  The obvious reason that it is in fact baseless crap.  The best the OP @skyfire can do is post research from Oxford University, one of the highly respected academic institutions on earth and say essentially "it's wrong because I disagree with it."  No rebuttal of the evidence, no explanation or analysis of their methods to prove they are flawed, no contradictory data, nothing.

One again there have dozens of studies, some lasting more that an a decade comparing tens of thousands of subjects from preteen into adulthood, and no direct link between video games and violent behaviour had EVER been found.  Yet there are people who still believe in this link fuelled with nothing but pure speculation and excuses:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/22/playing-video-games-doesnt-lead-to-violent-behaviour-study-shows

The only thing that was found (as I explained earlier) was a link to aggression, but no more than playing competitive sports and other forms of competition.

I don't understand why any gamer with even a slither of common sense would buy this nonsense. Quite frankly @skyfire,  @Head_Hunter and others who actually believe this should be ashamed. No only has science spent, or perhaps wasted, many decades and even more $millions on trying to link violent behaviour and video games together only to fail time and time again, you can't even see what the real purpose these bullshit claims are suppose to serve. It's scapegoating. Counting of people's stupidity to deny real problems they don't want to address.

For example, this is a particularly popular scapegoat in America because politicians over thier don't want to believe that the high rate of homicide and violence have anything to do with the fact that anyone can get thier hands on a gun. They know it would political suicide to open up that can of worms, so instead they blame not just video games, but entertainment media and "the corrupted youth" that partake in it instead. They present these non-facts to the gullible, ignorant parts of society that want to led away from the problems because they don't want to believe the inconvenient truth either.

Seriously what is wrong with those of you that actually believe this? As @Crazycrab pointed out, none of you present any proof, but just choose to believe this bullshit anyway? All you need is the ability to think for yourselves to see how ridiculous this is. Nobody on this forum is that stupid that they can at least do that.

Edited by Shagger

14 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Do you have any proof of this?  I can't help but notice that none of the people posting here are ANY proof of this.  The obvious reason that it is in fact baseless crap.  The best the OP @skyfire can do is post research from Oxford University, one of the highly respected academic institutions on earth and say essentially "it's wrong because I disagree with it."  No rebuttal of the evidence, no explanation or analysis of their methods to prove they are flawed, no contradictory data, nothing.

One again there have dozens of studies, some lasting more that an a decade comparing tens of thousands of subjects from preteen into adulthood, and no direct link between video games and violent behaviour had EVER been found.  Yet there are people who still believe in this link fuelled with nothing but pure speculation and excuses:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/22/playing-video-games-doesnt-lead-to-violent-behaviour-study-shows

The only thing that was found (as I explained earlier) was a link to aggression, but no more than playing competitive sports and other forms of competition.

Don't be too much insular.

Check this out

https://www.newindianexpress.com/lifestyle/health/2019/jun/01/violent-video-games-dangerous-for-children-study-1984704.html

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/too-much-gaming-makes-kids-aggressive-violent-survey/

So many surveys, just don't know the one to believe, I've read many times concerning children who are exposed to playing violent games, are prone to violent activities in real-life. The articles shared by @egghead tells it all, I tried searching where I read mine, couldn't remember. Thanks to Egghead for bringing this up here to clear the heat. 

I have read news where a kid was reported to kill his mother and sisters in a hope to emulate the game setting, and also about kids who attacked their parents because they did not allow them to play games. However, I could not find the links. I will share here once I find those articles.

5 hours ago, egghead said:

I read both those links. The survey comes right out to say gaming makes kids aggressive but mentioned almost nothing on aggression and only talks about gaming addiction. This is what the survey says on aggression: 

"Parents of teens who play games are generally neutral on the effect of games on their children, with nearly two-thirds believing that games have no impact one way or the other on their offspring."

"62 per cent of parents say that video games have no effect on their child one way or the other. 19 per cent of parents say that video games have a positive influence on their child. 13 per cent of parents say video games have a negative influence on their child."

So that survey is redundant.

The study in your first link starts off saying this:

"Kids exposed to violent video games are more likely to pull the trigger in real life situations, as compared to those who do not indulge in such gaming habits, researchers have warned."

There were 3 groups (gaming with guns, gaming with swords, and gaming with non violence). The kids gamed for 20 minutes and then went to a room to play with toys. 2 disabled handguns were left there for the study and the kids found them and 'touched a gun.' How did they get from touching a gun to "most likely to pull the trigger in real life situations" when they are in a fucking toy room? How does that resemble real life situations? WTF? 

And the ones who touched a gun did it out of familiarization or curiosity. That's not aggression. And the ones who played the game without violence and who also touched a gun, are they considered aggressive too because of gaming? 

Sorry but I declare bullshit

If video games were the biggest source of teenager anger, the world must have been a pretty peaceful place before games were invented. But it wasn't. I'm sure there are a few people out there that have been encouraged by games to be more violent but those people probably would have already had those thoughts. I don't think it's fair to blame video games on their actions.

First off,surveys are opinions.Don't rely on surveys if you want facts.Also the links supplied are tabloid headlines trying to scare people.This is an example of shit news being taken seriously.I've been on gaming websites for years and never heard of a kid attacking their parents because they wouldn't allow them to play games. Never. As noted the gun industry and some hack politicians like to blame violence on video games.Or rap.Or heavy metal.Living in tabloid  world may be fun but not everyone believes the bullshit in the real world.Look to the un biased studies that have taken place over many years.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:32 AM, egghead said:

This one really stretches it if you ask me.  The test was that they allowed 3 sets of children to play 3 different versions of Minecraft, one with guns and monsters, one with swords and monsters and one with no guns, swords or monsters and then put the children in a room full of toys.  Among the toys was a realistic looking gun and (big surprise) the kids that played with the gun in Minecraft tended to be drawn to the gun in real life.

Nearly 62 per cent of the 76 children who played the video game with gun touched a handgun.

About 57 per cent of the 74 children who played the game with sword violence touched a gun, and about 44 per cent of the 70 kids who played the non-violent version touched a gun.

If you ask me, it seems pretty obvious that after playing a game and having fun they would be drawn to something that relates to that experience, it doesn't mean that they are more violent.  The article itself even admits:

Although, the research is limited by the artificial setting of a university laboratory

Yeah, this is not real life!  Also in it's conclusion it states:

the researchers encourage gun owners to secure their firearms and reduce children's exposure to violent video games.

Frankly, if need research like this to tell you that then you shouldn't be breathing, let alone breeding.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:32 AM, egghead said:

There are a lot of problems with this so let me break it down.

I want to state first this is a survey, not an experiment.  The the "results" are based purely on what the subjects already believe.

Secondly, despite it's title "Too much gaming makes kids aggressive,violent: Survey" as @Reality vs Adventure pointed out it barely talks about violence.  The subject mostly under discussion is video game addiction which, I will state for the record, I do consider to be a legitimate problem.  Video games should be enjoyed in moderation and should not be played to the excess that they are controlling one's life and/or effecting your health.

This is one of only two part's that are relevant to this topic (I'll get to the other a little later):

He also added that children who are exposed to violence can become immune or numb due to the horror of violence,imitate the violence they see,and show more aggressive behaviour with greater are exposure to violence.

Some children accept violence as a way to handle problems. So the repeated exposure to violence,the greater is the impact on children, he says.

This is purely speculative, I could believe that children could experience desensitisation to violence when playing violent games in the same people tend to get desensitised to violence by watching violent films.  But I've seen plenty of other research that shows that it doesn't make them more violent people.

The last thing comes back to that clickbait title again.  It is literally by the results presented by it's own survey.... A LIE!  Check this out from the article!

62 per cent of parents say that video games have no effect on their child one way or the other. 19 per cent of parents say that video games have a positive influence on their child. 13 per cent of parents say video games have a negative influence on their child.

5 per cent of parents say gaming has some negative influence,some positive influence,but it depends on the game....

By their own fucking results 81% of the survey subjects believe that video games have no negative effect on their children.  More said that video game have positive effect rather than a negative one!  So where the hell is this asshat even drawing that bullshit conclusion earlier!

Nice job @egghead, you literally just charged down to the other end of the field and kicked an own goal!  Thank you!

Edited by Crazycrab

On 4/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, Lamarr the strelok said:

First off,surveys are opinions.Don't rely on surveys if you want facts.Also the links supplied are tabloid headlines trying to scare people.This is an example of shit news being taken seriously.I've been on gaming websites for years and never heard of a kid attacking their parents because they wouldn't allow them to play games. Never. As noted the gun industry and some hack politicians like to blame violence on video games.Or rap.Or heavy metal.Living in tabloid  world may be fun but not everyone believes the bullshit in the real world.Look to the un biased studies that have taken place over many years.

I love it exactly how you put it. No matter what kind of survey that its results are generated, it still doesn't change the fact that it's different people's opinion and it doesn't cover the opinion of the whole world on that subject. Can it be relied on for generalization on this subject, I wouldn't agree because it's not even close and not to talk about being enough. 

They can blame video games all they want but it doesn't change the fact that they are totally wrong and their so called research off chart with their half baked findings. A violent kid or a teenager is a product of how the parents brought the child up with things that happened in his or her life.