Register Now
Alexander.

How do you handle a controller?

How are you holding a controller? Ofcourse, this depends if you're using one, for gaming purposes. Are you a "thumbs on the buttons or have you learned The Claw technique? What is your preference when it comes to handling a controller? 

Edited by Alexander.

I'm a normal thumbs on the buttons kind of guy! Must be crippled to use the claw method - it's way too difficult for me to use. I understand there are advantages to holding your controller differently with some games, but is the advantage really perceptible? Do people that use the claw method simply find it more comfortable?

I've heard of people playing with the claw technique. I personally never tried that method before, as I tend to play the traditional way. Maybe I should try the claw technique and see how it compares to the normal way. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I've heard of people playing with the claw technique. I personally never tried that method before, as I tend to play the traditional way. Maybe I should try the claw technique and see how it compares to the normal way. 

What is this "claw technique"? People are talking about it, but no one is saying what it is. The only place I can find any sort of reference to it is this thread, but there is no definition.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, The Blackangel said:

What is this "claw technique"? People are talking about it, but no one is saying what it is. The only place I can find any sort of reference to it is this thread, but there is no definition.

I know in skits/parodies, they tend to hold the controller upside down but I'd also like to know what is the "claw technique" as well. All I keep imagining is some asian guy doing kung fu moves on his controller with some cheesy English translations that chip in several seconds after his lips stopped moving.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:53 PM, Shole said:

I just hold it regular, my big hands are too big for anything else XD

Don't we all. Unless you're physically challenged or suffer some sort of injury to your hands, you'd hold the controller normally. We still haven't learned what the "claw hold" is. At this point I'm starting to think it must be some sort of signature wrestling move lol.

I have been playing the so called claw technique but never knew it was the name of that way of holding the controller. I had to look it up now and realised that it's something that I have been doing for years. 

For those that are asking what's claw technique, watch the two YouTube videos, it's going to explain it better. 

I only use the index fingers for bumpers and triggers. I'd like to use index fingers for bumpers and middle fingers for triggers, but my controllers (Xbox 360 and Xbox One) don't allow for that unless I hold them in such a way where I can't move the left thumbstick comfortably any more.

I always used to think that everyone used controllers the same way until my youngest son picked up a controller and started playing games and he would hold it in a completely different way to the rest of us. I put it down to him having small hands but as he has grown up, he has still continued to play the way he does which is using the claw method. I always use the thumb on buttons and sticks method, and I have never changed the way I play using a controller. My youngest has often questions why we hold controllers different to him and I simply tell him that everyone holds a controller how they feel more comfortable, and he has been fine with that.