Register Now
22_22

How long can you invest in a game?

How long can you invest in a game before you get bored? What are the various factors that can influence your enjoyment or boredom of these different games?

For me I can sit at a game for a while and play it quite regularly before I get bored. What makes it more interesting for me is having online play, as playing games of FIFA for instance against the computer can quickly become tedious.

I think the point about investing into the game is more of the psychological and personal. As long as it fits your health and you can keep on churning in, that would be the limit I guess. I personally don't keep track of the time. 

It really depends on the game. If it’s a competitive game like Fortnite or a new FIFA, the hours fly by, unless I’ve been playing the game too much recently. If it’s a story based game, I can’t play longer than 2 hours. Story based games are generally slow and I get bored too easily.

Edited by ARx182

22 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think the point about investing into the game is more of the psychological and personal. As long as it fits your health and you can keep on churning in, that would be the limit I guess. I personally don't keep track of the time. 

Then I can invest permanently. Some games stay with me forever.

There are some games that are just timeless. For me, they are almost any of the COD series and Minecraft. I've been playing both games for several years and can't get bored with all the updates or competitive gaming. Any other game I might play for a few weeks before it's no more fun.

It depends on how good the game is. Great games can keep me playing all day long without getting bored.

If I have no desire to continue playing a game after 1-2 hours that's a failure on the part of the game.

I'm at 200 hours on Assassins Creed Odyssey. I have almost 40 games on ps4, played them, but what stuck for me is Odyssey and Witcher 3. I have never been into a game as much as these two. Just got AC Origins and never gonna stop those three games. What keeps me playing the most is beautiful exploration. It's an adventure better than tv or books because I am controlling what to do and where to go. In AC I enjoy the villages and all that is going on as if I were there. The graphics are amazing and sometimes I can just picture myself there in an ancient village, fishing village, or on a mountain or forest or ocean. And I have at least 100 hours in Horizon Zero Dawn. Once again, the exploration and beauty keep me in it. 

For me those will stick for a long time. Interestingly, Witcher 3 I didn't like at first cause there was too much potions to learn, things to craft, gear wearing down, weight problems of gear I have to stop and lose things in inventory to fix weight issues. I stopped the game for 6 months till I picked it back up and gave it another try. The quests started to get really good and along with exploration got me hooked. Fallout 4 I stopped playing cause of weight issues. 

Monster Hunter World I am at a loss in that game. Not sure what to do, too much weapons to learn and inventory stuff, I stopped playing and probably won't go back for a long while. 

I get bored with shooting and not so interesting atmosphere. I need adventure and beautiful places to see. And getting awesome outfits/gear for the character in 3rd person games I love too. 

11 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Monster Hunter World I am at a loss in that game. Not sure what to do, too much weapons to learn and inventory stuff, I stopped playing and probably won't go back for a long while. 

I think the time spent on MH:Iceborne is also worth it. Like something new to learn and experience in fights.