Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is there a useful role for bullies in MMOs?

When I used to MUD in high school, I was part of an in-game mafia of sorts, and we were essentially bullies, albeit sometimes well-intentioned ones. I was quite surprised when recently my brother who still plays the same game over a decade later says that he misses when we were around, because we kept the game fresh, provided an excuse for decent PVP, and tended to give others a reason to band together.

Do you think there is ever a viable role like this for bullies in MMOs?

In Lords Mobile and Champions Online, they considered me a bit of a bully but I only bullied strong players who were picking on weaker ones. It really depends on the kind of bully actually. If your aim is to maintain order and it allows most of the weaker guilds to flourish, then I can identify with that. Being an ass and making the game unenjoyable for everyone else, not so much.

On 12/13/2020 at 7:54 AM, Empire said:

I can be weak or powerless in some game matches but these that are weak at times can be good for bait 😛  Yep use them and try and not bully them to get them to get killed and so the others get to do what they have to do. 

I'm always attacking strong players and because bullies tend to pick on the extremely weak characters, I tend to lurk in those areas and just pop up and wreck them.

So was this a way to like keep the internet clean? I had something similar where I was part of a group that reported hackers, cheaters and people who got a little too offensive. I know some will say that's lame to do, but I didn't care, and I always thought it was fun to report people who I caught hacking and cheating. It was especially nice when Microsoft sent me a couple PMs in the past, thanking me for reporting people. 😄 

57 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

So was this a way to like keep the internet clean? I had something similar where I was part of a group that reported hackers, cheaters and people who got a little too offensive. I know some will say that's lame to do, but I didn't care, and I always thought it was fun to report people who I caught hacking and cheating. It was especially nice when Microsoft sent me a couple PMs in the past, thanking me for reporting people. 😄 

I can understand reporting hackers and cheaters but some offensive language can be allowed to slide. I wonder what you'd say about the old COD online sessions where you'd be called all kinds of racial slurs and people threatening to join Al-Queda just to blow up your house. Back then, every one knew it was just trash talk and nobody paid it any mind. I even ran into some of them years after and they said the whole experiences taught them to toughen up.

The only place a bully belongs in relation to gaming is away from their computer or console doing their homework like their mothers told them to do. Seriously though, there is big difference between a bully's way and a leaders way when if comes to helping people learn the in and outs of a role in an MMO, especially as part of a team. One if them is helpful, satisfying and works, whilst the other us degrading, frustrating for all concerned and doesn't work at all. 

Yes, have you ever tried to play the Rockstar game Bully? I think that it shows a nice way to make a bully become more friendly, or teach others that being a bully isn't right and it's more harmful to others than one would think. 

I wouldn't describe it as bullies what you said, I mean bullying is never nice, but if you have trouble makers who add like a new kind of challenge to the game without being dumb about it, then it's fun. If you have people who just try to abuse you, then it aint fun at all.

If they announce beforehand that they are going to play like that to try to motivate everyone to do their best, then bullies can be a help. It's kinda like a spotter at the gym. You hear them talking about things like "jelly rolls" and whatnot when they are pushing the person they're spotting. The bit of anger they can cause gives a small rush of adrenaline, which makes them push harder. So some minor bullying in game, as long as it isn't personal attacks, can be beneficial. As long as it's like an angry spotter, or constructive criticism.

But that aside, as a general rule, bullying is never acceptable no matter the setting.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, killamch89 said:

Being an ass and making the game unenjoyable for everyone else, not so much.

This is the part of bullies behavior that I don't really like at all. It get on my nerves to the extent of feeling like punching them in the face if we were to meet face to face. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is the part of bullies behavior that I don't really like at all. It get on my nerves to the extent of feeling like punching them in the face if we were to meet face to face. 

Why so? I never take such comments seriously. There are thousands of them with thousands of mentalities, you can't convince each of them. It is better to avoid than getting indulged. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

I like when they try to do that to me because then I can torment them continuously until they rage quit.

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

Why so? I never take such comments seriously. There are thousands of them with thousands of mentalities, you can't convince each of them. It is better to avoid than getting indulged. 

I agree - I never take these people that seriously.

53 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I like when they try to do that to me because then I can torment them continuously until they rage quit.

I agree - I never take these people that seriously.

Some of these guys are just good at talking. Most times, I do refer to them as keyboard warriors because they are good at hiding behind their computers.