Register Now
StaceyPowers

Exploring: compelling or tedious?

Half my gaming or more is exploring. That in itself has inspired my love and aww for gaming. No matter if it's scary, a ruined mess, nice scenery, city scape, or village, I'm there enjoying everything the developers put in the map. I even get caught up playing with wildlife. Even if I finish the story, it will be hard for me to delete the game if there was a big exploration factor. Cause I never know when I want to almost feel the warm sun on a coast, or get cozy in snowy mountains. 

I hear the music now. It's putting me in a trance. Put on my camo gear and creep through this jungle. I feel like a wild cat now. Where is my prey? I'm the hunter. This is my domain. Moving slow. This one I want to taste the blood. I will splinter his neck with my blade. Everything feels so quiet and still as if even the birds in the trees are watching and waiting. Leaves fall. Not a breeze at this moment even bothering the leaf in its fall. I will drop him before that leaf graces the Earth. 

Lost myself there. Or maybe I found myself. I've been in the jungle too long. Time to go the local bar and walk along the beach. Wonder what quest is in this area. I'll let the sun set behind the sea before I wander the night. 

It depends on the game, and whether you can find interesting things when you explore. In many games it's just not worth the time and effort to go out of your way when all you can find is a random powerups that you can find everywhere anyway. I need unique hidden lore elements, or unique equipment for making it worth my while.

Edited by m76

Yeah it depends on the game for me as well. Some games, like RDR2, it rewards you for exploring the world, because there's so much out there that can be found. But, in some games, it can become very tedious, especially if it's some small task like finding key items around the world, or small bits here and there. Exploring is more fun when it adds missions and fun things to do on the way. 

But, some games I like to just see as much of the world as possible. 

On 2/13/2021 at 4:23 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you find it fun to explore in video games, or do you find it tedious? On the whole, it is one of my favourite aspects of gaming, and I love it—but sometimes it can be tedious in some games where there isn’t much to look at/do, just huge open spaces to cross.

I love exploring. especially in games with open world. I am on one side of the map which is empty and other players are on other side. so I think exploring is kind of fun for me. 

Well, good art or story direction is one way. If you make the game world remarkable and interesting, people will want to see more of it. Nice setpieces or audio files, just things that enhance the overall experience of the game.

I say I like to relaxe and explore twhat the game and what it has to offer 🙂 

On 2/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, skyfire said:

I know a lot of RPG users who love playing the games because of the scenary they see in the games. I too like the games for the same reason. I think exploring is essential for some genres.

Open-world RPGs are normally very fun to explore because the developers put a lot of effort into making even area full of various little details. The one thing I hate is when the world is empty or just bland.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, Syntax said:

I love exploring, probably that’s why I like open map style games. But when you only explore, like in No Man’s Sky, it can be kind of annoying IMO since you need like objectives 

I always had the same concern with No man's Sky - I mean I get the aim of the game is to explore but what are we hoping to achieve from it. In addition to that, there isn't really any combat or actions to at least keep you engaged.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:53 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you find it fun to explore in video games, or do you find it tedious? On the whole, it is one of my favourite aspects of gaming, and I love it—but sometimes it can be tedious in some games where there isn’t much to look at/do, just huge open spaces to cross.

Personally I think it's fun to explore in any video games that I'm playing because I don't see anything wrong with it, plus I was playing to have fun so why not explore?

The more you explore such games, the more you fall in love with it deeply. It has happened to me countless times. 

3 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Depends on the game, some have really compelled me to explore every inch and talk to all NPCs, while others gave me no intrest in it.