Register Now
StaceyPowers

Have you ever not purchased a game because of reviews?

Yes, but mostly for smaller / indie titles. User reviews can be very helpful to find out about flaws that would be deal breakers to me.

As for AAA titles, never. Had I listened to reviews I'd have missed out on a lot of good games.

I don't trust reviews because they could just be from the ones that made the damn game pretending to be players that bought it. It's not hard in the least to fake a review. I could easily pretend to be Shigeru Miyamoto and go on a rave about how the greatest game in history is The Legend Of Zelda franchise. I'm obviously not him, but I could still do it.

A review can only turn me away from a game if it reinforced my suspicion on something in particular. I don't know where people's heads are at when they review, what they look for and all, but I have played many games that I really love and have low ratings. And I have played games that have higher ratings which to me wasn't really user friendly as a game. 

For example in Metacritic, I can go down the list from highest to lowest ratings and most of my favorite games are around 80 and below. I'm confused on that. Last I checked this was still Earth and was still spinning. 

A recent game I've played is Layers of Fear 2 with a score of 68. WTF WTF WTF. Too many people got too much mercury in their teeth and are brain dead. Do they just not get it??? Well, to me that game is brilliant. It deserves the highest awards. So they should see a dentist and get those old fillings out and I will welcome the new outlook when those neurons start reconnecting. 

The various reviews and articles that came up with regard to Cyberpunk 2077 were consistent and numerous enough in their criticisms to put me off. If I hadn't been paying attention, I might have bought it. True I was, as some of you might remember, very suspicious about the game as the development dragged on, but all that really meant was I wasn't suppressed when the game came out busted. I still could have just as easily fell for the trap that CDPR were "all for the gamers" saints and bought the game on that good faith. If I had, that would have been the biggest dose of buyers remorse I'd have had since the likes of Destiny and No Man's Sky.

It has helped me from jumping the gun and buying some truly atrocious games throughout my time as a gamer. For instance, I was considering Fallout 76 but when I saw the horrible reviews and the gameplay, I knew it definitely was not the game for me. The thing is that I normally go over several reviews to see the consistency and I'll also watch a bit of a walkthrough on YouTube just to see if what the reviews are saying matches up with what I've watched. If it is, then that game will be a no-go.

No.  I don't even read reviews for games unless I've already played them.  The way I like to expose myself to a game is to just go to youtube and watch someone playing the intro and beginning of the game, and/or watch some random gameplay footage to get an idea of what its like.

5 hours ago, Steerminator said:

unless I've already played them

yeah, sometimes it's pretty nice to see what people think about a game that you enjoyed, i remember doing the same with Driver San Francisco, even if i found it being  a pretty decent game, reviews didn't say that

On 5/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Have you ever decided it isn’t worth it to buy a game after you read a review?

Of course yes, I have actually purchased at least 5 games after reading so many reviews about them online. Once the reviews are legit, I can trust it. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, Family sedan said:

I'll read reviews sometimes, but I still might get a game they panned anyway.

Seriously, sometimes there are crap reviews that aren't true but full of bias which is why I try as much as I can to look for more reviews on a particular game before making my decision.