Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about your early days of gaming?

What do you miss most about your earliest days of gaming? I think I miss how hard we sometimes had to work to solve puzzles, weirdly enough (no YouTube videos to watch). Sometimes I’d actually had to collaborate with friends to figure stuff out.

I say games that I can't play anymore, Ever since Windows 8 came out and beyound that games that are older then that doesn't get supported and or works. Just old old times when gaming and like to get those gaming or games to work without having to go all out with trying to get them to work. I don't miss the old days. Because it's not like the games are gone forever.

It's not hard to appreciate the old and new at the same time.

I kept a computer from the WindowsXP era, and I play AOE and Diablo II on it a lot. The old PC is the only way I can continue to play those games. It's more than 20 years old at this point, and technology is advancing so fast that computer parts are obsolete 6 months before they hit the market. At least that's what I was told by a guy that builds and repairs computers for a living. He's an asshole, and I hate him, but he's also a master with computers. He could hack literally anything if he wanted or needed to.

Edited by The Blackangel

I miss modding in the early days of gaming where you didn't get banned automatically. You could even lag switch someone and we had a trick called team standby where you used Zone Alarm and internet connection sharing and put your team mates ips in trusted. We would play Halo 2 and boost to level 50. This was back when I was 11-12 years old though. It's impossible to do this without getting banned now and it's almost immediate that it happens. But that's what I miss.

19 minutes ago, TopSilver said:

I miss modding in the early days of gaming where you didn't get banned automatically. You could even lag switch someone and we had a trick called team standby where you used Zone Alarm and internet connection sharing and put your team mates ips in trusted. We would play Halo 2 and boost to level 50. This was back when I was 11-12 years old though. It's impossible to do this without getting banned now and it's almost immediate that it happens. But that's what I miss.

To be fair, that is more akin to cheating rather than modding, so you can't exactly blame game dev's/publishers for clamping down on that sort of thing.

The excitement of playing out new games as soon as it is launched.

Excitement is still there, but the intensity is no more like before. When a new game used to launch, I would be the first one to grab it and then distribute to my friends. I was more like a game distributor in my college days. 😆

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

The excitement of playing out new games as soon as it is launched.

Excitement is still there, but the intensity is no more like before. When a new game used to launch, I would be the first one to grab it and then distribute to my friends. I was more like a game distributor in my college days. 😆

The big joy of excitement is still there, well, it can be right? 

like the new game of flight sim that gave me the excitement to go out and buy the game as soon as it was released and then wished the the bugs was fixed. At least that when it comes to flying in flight sims I do not get bored. Not like other games that has no new content.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

The big joy of excitement is still there, well, it can be right? 

like the new game of flight sim that gave me the excitement to go out and buy the game as soon as it was released and then wished the the bugs was fixed. At least that when it comes to flying in flight sims I do not get bored. Not like other games that has no new content.

Microsoft had created something amazing with their flight simulator games, particularly I played Acceleration for quite some time during my school days.

I guess the time I spent playing is now boosting my confidence, as I am now an aircraft propeller designer in a private company. I sometime use their real flight simulator, even though I am not authorised for that. 😆

On 6/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What do you miss most about your earliest days of gaming? I think I miss how hard we sometimes had to work to solve puzzles, weirdly enough (no YouTube videos to watch). Sometimes I’d actually had to collaborate with friends to figure stuff out.

Personally, I'm very bad at playing puzzle games because I'm bad at it even in real life. It stresses me the hell out, so I stay away from it.