Register Now
StaceyPowers

Can you enjoy a game without being crazy about its gameplay?

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yup. There are many great games with shoddy controls, and other problems. Shadow of the Colossus comes to mind as an all time classic game, that has some shoddy controls. Probably due to it being an older game, but I imagine if those controls were more controlled, it would have been an all time masterpiece in my opinion. Well it still is, but I think it would have been even better. 

I think it is possible if the story is top notch(like Tales of Berseria) but if the gameplay and story are not good then it's impossible to enjoy. 

11 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

I think it is possible if the story is top notch(like Tales of Berseria) but if the gameplay and story are not good then it's impossible to enjoy. 

Seriously, when it comes to game's gameplay, they are very important because without them, the game is as good as useless. 

17 hours ago, Heatman said:

I think that there is something similar with what you get in Dragon Age : Inquisition when it comes to its control as well. What do you think? 

Dragon age inquisition diden't have bad controls, it's just outside the story (and apart from killing a few dragons) their isen't really a whole lot interesting to do, still i had fun with it.

surely you can put any telltale game in here, heavy rain and beyond two souls aswell since gameplay is barebones at best, like hell put life is strange in here aswell as i don't like the gameplay but all the rest is awesome.

Firewatch would be my top pick, i'm a hiker myself so setting was right, story was great, just the gameplay was so boring.

Edited by Yaramaki

1 minute ago, Yaramaki said:

Dragon age inquisition diden't have bad controls, it's just outside the story (and apart from killing a few dragons) their isen't really a whole lot interesting to do, still i had fun with it.

surely you can put any telltale game in here, heavy rain and beyond two souls aswell since gameplay is barebones at best, like hell put life is strange in here aswell as i don't like the gameplay but all the rest is awesome.

Firewatch would be my top pick, i'm a hiker myself so setting was right, story was great, just the gameplay was so boring.

I'm actually with you on DA: Inquisition. The story is dynamic, the premise is interesting, the characters are well fleshed out, but the gameplay itself was so dull that it made the game a chore to play through at times. Dare I say, it might have been better in the style on Life is Strange or a Telltale game. In answer to the topic, I believe it is possible to get invested in a game without being crazy about it's gameplay, but when the games seals it's gameplay in manner that isn't that of an interactive narrative that has limited gameplay by design, it really poisons the experience  is the gameplay is not fun.

I've actually resisted answering this topic because I couldn't quite figure out my ambivalence about it, but now I feel I've figured out it's all about how the experience id presented. If the advert tells you it swims and walks like a pelican, to find it it's a duck would inevitable be disappointed. It wouldn't matter that a duck can fly, and may arguable be better, it wouldn't matter because that's not not what you payed for.

15 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I had the same feeling towards playing Firewatch because when there isn't much to do in a game, it's not going to be that fun to play. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

I had the same feeling towards playing Firewatch because when there isn't much to do in a game, it's not going to be that fun to play. 

I actually find Firewatch relaxing to play, even though some gamers don't find it that much of a task to get into. 

24 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Batman Arkham action-adventure, GTA S.A, RDR-2 are still quality video games I am simply playing till today. 

Are you crazy about your play of Batman Arkham? I know it's an interesting game but to what extent are you willing to get to in order to complete it? 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

Are you crazy about your play of Batman Arkham? I know it's an interesting game but to what extent are you willing to get to in order to complete it? 

At least, I'm very sure that there is nothing that would make me to pay money to win any game. I rather quit the game than pay to win.