Register Now
Kane99

Are video games becoming too casual/easy?

Does anyone feel like video games are becoming too casual and or easy? I'm all for easier games coming out, as I am one to just play for the story and gameplay. But I don't want to see games made too easy to appease us either. Ya know what I mean? Just give me an easy mode for a tough game, and I'll be happy. 

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Are we seeing less and less easier or casual games? Or is it about the same? 

Yes, some. For example Far Cry 6 was way too easy.

What is baffling to me are the games that remove the difficulty setting option, which quite a few big games did recently. Control, Deathloop, Far Cry 6.

I don't know what was wrong with difficulty settings? I've had no problem playing games on easy when I found them too hard on medium or regular difficulty. And the same way I could put the difficulty to very hard or extreme in some games where I enjoyed the challenge.

But now I no longer have the option, because some people are so narcissistic that playing on easy hurts their ego. So they'd rather remove the difficulty completely from games, to avoid what they perceive as embarrassment.

Fallout is the type of game that 5 hours isn't even scratching the surface. I know that's a lot to ask for someone unfamiliar with the game, but for those of us that are into the game. We could spend five hours in the menu just to get all the character traits and attibutes to our liking. It's not necessarily a hardcore game, but it does require dedication to get things going.

Games nowadays offer very little actual challenge. There's not a whole lot that you have to do to win at the game. And with open world games, you don't even have to play the story of the game. Also some of the main quest choices are entirely optional so you don't have to involve yourself in them. In RDR2 you can stay out picking herbs and hunting deer all the time and never see your camp again.

Games need a serious shake up to get some challenge back. Devs need to look back at the early days, mainly the 1980's, and see what made those game so successful and what the challenge in them was like.

Edited by The Blackangel

Games are easier now than they were in the 80's and 90's, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  Games today that center their whole around challenge are the Souls-Borne types which I'm not a very big fan of.  If you like those types of those that's fine, I can see appeal.  For me though, they have this wiff if elitism about them which brings such serious toxicity out of people that they get genuinely offended at the idea of these games even having difficulty options.

Like @m76 was saying if your not a "great" player or perhaps just want a more relaxing experience but still want to play these games for their art, story and lore then you should obviously be allowed to.  If you want to test your skills with a more challenging experience then you should be allowed to do that to.  I genuinely don't understand why it's such a taboo.

Also, one other thing I forgot to mention, was how easier retro games have become on modern consoles, especially the switch. I remember when my nephew was over with his Switch a while back, and he was playing SMB3 on it, and everytime he failed, he'd use the rewind feature to take him back. I told him we didn't have the choice back in the day on the NES. I thought it was cheating, or just lazy, and he didn't seem to care lol. But yeah, they're even making retro games easier with the use of emulation, so there's that. 

I guess it has become a bit too easy but that is probably to try and make different games a bit more welcoming to different types of players. The more welcoming it is, the more likely people are going to play it/spend money within the game. As long as games keep the difficulty setting, I don't mind this really.

I'll simply say, too casual games are being made this days. It's simply a pity that games aren't taking into account seriously like in the past, video game devs or compaies have been driven out by the money they're making on top of this newly developed and coming out with trash releases. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, Heatman said:

Some games are very difficult while some are that way too easy as well but it doesn't categorize all games to be too easy lately. 

Exactly, and it still doesn't categorize all games to be too hard or difficult as well. It's a split between the two levels. 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

Exactly, and it still doesn't categorize all games to be too hard or difficult as well. It's a split between the two levels. 

A few games that I have played are quite that too easy which I don't really enjoy that much because it's not too challenging. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

A few games that I have played are quite that too easy which I don't really enjoy that much because it's not too challenging. 

What's the most easiest video games that you have played currently on your Playstation 4 console or any other gaming platform? 

20 hours ago, Boblee said:

What's the most easiest video games that you have played currently on your Playstation 4 console or any other gaming platform? 

Cat Quest is one good and easy fun game to play on Playstation 4. It's an adventure based game where you play as a cat in which there are treasures to find as well. 

On 11/30/2021 at 11:06 AM, Boblee said:

RDR2 is pretty easy. Sure, some parts are a bit challenging, but for the most part it's not difficult at all. It's more of an emotionally challenging game than a skill challenging game.