Register Now
killamch89

Trolling

In most online games I play, I tend to be a huge troll - I am not the malicious kind fo troll - I'm more the one that everyone laughs with and I don't usually troll my own team because I obviously want to win. Do you troll in online games and if so, what kind of troll are you?

58 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

In most online games I play, I tend to be a huge troll - I am not the malicious kind fo troll - I'm more the one that everyone laughs with and I don't usually troll my own team because I obviously want to win. Do you troll in online games and if so, what kind of troll are you?

Isn't trolling supposed to be inherently malicious?

I don't bother. I just don't see the point of it. We're all here to play the game and I think it's important to let everyone enjoy the game. I've seen a few trolling videos on Twitter and YouTube though and some of them can be quite funny. Most of them are harmless and it's just people trying to trick people into thinking something. 

10 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

I don't bother. I just don't see the point of it. We're all here to play the game and I think it's important to let everyone enjoy the game. I've seen a few trolling videos on Twitter and YouTube though and some of them can be quite funny. Most of them are harmless and it's just people trying to trick people into thinking something. 

That's exactly what I do lol. Everybody normally laughs even the person getting trolled...

10 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Isn't trolling supposed to be inherently malicious?

No, You have different kinds of trolling - You have the malicious ones that tell people to commit suicide, throw around racist remarks and are just outright disgusting. Then you have harmless trolls like me who will trick other people in-game into falling for a trap/gag and everyone laughs. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

No, You have different kinds of trolling - You have the malicious ones that tell people to commit suicide, throw around racist remarks and are just outright disgusting. Then you have harmless trolls like me who will trick other people in-game into falling for a trap/gag and everyone laughs. 

So..Like this? 

There are different tiers to trolling:

Petty: Simple, annoying jokes made to cause mischief

Chaotic: Pranks made to divide others and cause arguments

Targeted: Trolls made towards an individual

Nuclear: Trolls made to cause damage

Overkill: Trolls made to destroy, this tier is rare

When it comes to Targeted and above, that's when the harassments usually happen, the problem with trolling is that most trolls always try to go to the highest tier, instead of the most useful tier. Every site is different, in that some sites can handle trolls more than others. Most trolls just go for harassment when then just being petty is enough to get people goats up.

Steps to fight trolls. 

1. Ignore/mute/block them - Nothing works better than just blocking the trolls

2. Don't stoop to their level or fall for their abuse. They want you to react, that's the whole point of a troll, to get a reaction out of you. 

3. If you can't ignore/mute/block someone, leave the game/lobby/mission etc and join a different game

4. Mute the whole damn lobby/room

5. Block communication/friend requests/message requests etc (in some games/services)

Trolls are everywhere, comment sections, in game lobbies, and more. It's really how you deal with them that stops them. 

On 12/23/2018 at 5:08 AM, killamch89 said:

I only troll my fellow football fans especially when my club wins and they lose or draw. As for video games, I don't have time for it. 

It’s definitely not fun and ruins the experience. I get if everyone is on board with it, or if it’s a short game like Coup, and you’re just effing around, but it’s not fun to actually screw people over/target people against what makes sense just because you think it’s funny.