Register Now
StaceyPowers

Anyone else have trouble with jumping in games?

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I seem to have a hard time properly lining up/timing jumps across gaps in multiple games. Does anyone else?

Seriously, when it comes to jumping in real life, I practically suck at it and the same thing happens with me in playing video games. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:03 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I seem to have a hard time properly lining up/timing jumps across gaps in multiple games. Does anyone else?

Not jumping actually, I am poor at changing gears on NFS games. In the beginning, it was quite tough for me to learn that, but now I am quite an expert. 😊

In Knight of The Old Republic you couldn't jump, but you could brandish your lightsaber and do a cool (albeit useless) move while running. But depends on the game, you might jump to late or to early or just right. Or you get to a gate and jump and it's not wotking as you are not aiming right. 

17 hours ago, skyfire said:

Some games have pain for jumps and especially when there are countless things that can happen after jump gone wrong. 

The old Tomb Raider games were particularly guilty of this. The jumping mechanic was so awkward because you had to line up a jump perfectly - one degree off and the jump will fail.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The old Tomb Raider games were particularly guilty of this. The jumping mechanic was so awkward because you had to line up a jump perfectly - one degree off and the jump will fail.

That's the main reason I never got into them, they were so fumbling and awkward.  Thankfully the latter games improved on this dramatically.

Rarely. If ever I do I'll take a moment to reflect on what I'm doing wrong, and if nothing comes to mind I question the developers' vision and ability to see it through.

One such incident occurred throughout all my ~7 hours of Spyro 2: Season of Flame on the Game Boy Advance. I had the pleasure of completing that yesterday, and while it's a much better (read: playable) game than the previous one, Season of Ice, it suffers one major problem: it's isometric. Three of the four Spyro GBA games are like this, wherein you're playing a faster, deadlier game of Q*bert on a smaller screen with greater graphical fidelity, and you will be expected to make frequent jumps, glides and end some with a hover. It's hard to gauge the distance of a jump or flight without either side-scrolling or full 3D, so throw in high contrast assets and detailed levels and matters are made worse.

I managed to complete the game without much complaining though, because the developers had set a precedent for Spyro's abilities early on, and any deaths were understandable misreadings of the terrain. Compare that to the woeful incompetence which is Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy, which has wildly inconsistent tests of character ability, and you wonder why Vicarious Visions were ever allowed to do  anything outside of the much better Crash games on Game Boy Advance (barring the obvious Crash: Ripto's Rampage). Thank goodness Toys for Bob were left in charge of It's About Time, which is on my to-do list.

I know what you mean lol. I've a lot better on console because I've become accustomed to the controller. But when I started playing Valorant recently on my laptop, I was awful with jumping. I was struggling to jump on to a box and then jump into a room. Always fell off 😂

On 9/13/2021 at 2:33 AM, killamch89 said:

Depends on the camera angle in the game among other factors. In old Tomb Raider games and some platformers as well, the camera was so clunky that you'd tend to misjudge your jumps and fail all the time.

Seriously - that was a very big pain in the ass with playing the game because you'd think you got it right, only to see yourself crash and burn. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:21 AM, Head_Hunter said:

When I was playing Mortar Kombat I found it so hard to jump past a gallop or sprint higher in the game as I would've loved earlier on. But with time I learned on my own by applying some finishing touch using the controller.  

Any game comes with its playing instructions on how the controllers are supposed to work especially in action combat games like MK. If you ain't getting it well, you can't be efficient in playing.