Register Now
DC

Community Chat #1

One of my rats had another litter that we didn't know about.

đŸ˜±

So we have a bunch of babies. We thought we had all the males and females separated to keep them from this. When I checked all of them, I found that a couple of males testicles hadn't fully dropped. That was why I missed them and thought they were female.

49 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

One of my rats had another litter that we didn't know about.

đŸ˜±

So we have a bunch of babies. We thought we had all the males and females separated to keep them from this. When I checked all of them, I found that a couple of males testicles hadn't fully dropped. That was why I missed them and thought they were female.

😂Those rascals! I know what you mean. It’s easy to miss one while separating them. That’s how it is with rabbits too. I had 30 rabbits at one point. 

I have somewhere around 50 rats. If I can find the vast majority of them good and happy homes, I would love to. The problem is that I would have to know the people to make sure they aren't going to be murdered as snake food.

I know "murdered" isn't the right word in your eyes, but it is in mine. And you all know why.

Edited by The Blackangel

20 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I have somewhere around 50 rats. If I can find the vast majority of them good and happy homes, I would love to. The problem is that I would have to know the people to make sure they aren't going to be murdered as snake food.

I know "murdered" isn't the right word in your eyes, but it is in mine. And you all know why.

I wouldn’t want that on my conscious either. Never know what owners would do. You would think you are selling a rabbit as a pet, but some people want to eat them. Nuh uh. They can go hunt instead. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, The Blackangel said:

I have cats and the rats in my house are the games for my cats. 😄

On 4/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, killamch89 said:

Hey guys, how's everyone doing today? I've been away for a couple of weeks due to life issues but I'm back.

I actually took some time off too my but it's a good thing to be back and also have you back here as well. 

7 hours ago, egghead said:

If you live in the farm, you will know the damages caused by the rats. Rats are also vector of disease, plague for instance.

3 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Rats aren't good to be around human, they are poisonous, if i have the chance to eliminate them completely around the corners of my home, i will definitely. 

Oh man, where to even start.

1. It is now know known that the plague was actually mostly spread by flees, not rats.
  2. A rat can only carry disease if the environment they live is unsanitary, it's not an indigenous aspect of the animal. If you have to scurry about a sewer to find food, you won't exactly bee clean either. If you think rats are that dangerous, then you really need to stay away from pigeons, they are actually worse.
  3. Urban, feral rats are vermin, that is true, but that's they're a product of thier environut. Cats do no better in the same circumstance. I know that first had as the disused ducks and drains in the dockyard where I worked were full of them.
  4. Rats are not poisonous. That's so incorrect @Head_Hunter I doubt you actually what know word poisonous actually means. A poisonous animal is one that carries a venom, not an infectious agent. A Cobra, for example, is poisonous. A rat is not.
  5. Rats are very intelligent, more so than dogs and cats.
  6. As @The Blackangel will testify, as pets rats (provided they are care for properly) are totally hygienic and complexly harmless.

You guys have some serious misconceptions, and what makes this worse id=s that you really should have known all of this if you had payed any attention what @The Blackangel says about them.

@Shagger i got what you've said, but do you know that rat can cause the following diseases?

*hantavirus,

*leptospirosis,

*lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV),

*Tularemia and Salmonella

Rat in my region also help  infect your food, cause damage to home wiring, etc. 

I can't have rat as a pet, instead i prefer dog. 

14 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Rats are not poisonous. That's so incorrect @Head_Hunter I doubt you actually what know word poisonous actually means. A poisonous animal is one that carries a venom, not an infectious agent. A Cobra, for example, is poisonous. A rat is not.

Actually, that's not quite accurate.  Cobra's and other types of snakes are examples of venomous animals, not poisonous, and there is a significant difference.  Poison can be effective in several was included both injection into the bloodstream AND ingestion.  Venom however only works through injection and NOT ingestion.

You can safely eat a venomous snake and even drink the venom.  This wouldn't be the case for a poisonous animal like the Poison Dart Frog or Pufferfish.

Just to clarify, a Rat is neither of these things.  They carry disease... Just like any other mammal.

Edited by Crazycrab

1 minute ago, Head_Hunter said:

@Shagger i got what you've said, but do you know that rat can cause the following diseases?

*hantavirus,

*leptospirosis,

*lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV),

*Tularemia and Salmonella

Rat in my region also help  infect your food, cause damage to home wiring, etc. 

I can't have rat as a pet, instead i prefer dog. 

You're not even reading my post. Rat's only carry disease as product of the environment they live in. They don't "produce" them. I also acknowledged that feral rats are vermin. They eat food, cause damage, all like you said. As pets, none of that happens. Again, LIKE I SAID and you would know if you had payed any attention to what I posted, the same thing happens to cats and lots of other animals when they forced to live under those sort of conditions, it's not unique to rats.

3 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Actually, that's not quite accurate.  Cobra's and other types of snakes are examples of venomous animals, not poisonous, and there is a significant difference.  Poison can be effective in several was included both injection into the bloodstream AND ingestion.  Venom however only works through injection and NOT ingestion.

You can safely eat a venomous snake and even drink the venom.  This wouldn't be the case for a poisonous animal like the Poison Dart Frog or Pufferfish.

Ok, I admit I made an error. sorry for the mistake. Either way, rats clearly are not poisonous. At least I was closer to the truth than @Head_Hunter.