Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you prefer gameplay videos with or without commentary?

Unless there's commentary then not only is it legally questionable under the DMCA since the content is not transformative, by why would you watch somone play a game over playing it yourself if their not adding any commentary about it?  It makes no sense to me, the reason I'm watching a particular let's player or streamer play a game is obviously because I want their thoughts on it.

Edited by Crazycrab

without commentaries, i usually watch them like i'm playing the game myself and i really hate it when some youtubers start dropping useless comments on a gameplay like "oh, the sun in this game is impressive, oh look, this ocean has water", it's just lot of cringe, unless there's some funny editing included

Commentary. If I didn't want commentary, I'd just mute the video or play the game myself.

If I watch, I watch to the personality that's playing the game, not just the game. I would say that commentary over dialogue sections in The Witcher or the Mass Effect games would take away, definitely. But Mass Effect? If you could say something super witty between conversational choices? That's where watching Let's Plays actually offers more enjoyment and entertainment besides just watching the game for me.

My two cents, other's don't have to agree, that's just how I see it! 😄

I want to hear them talk about the game, not just put text on with it. Having to switch your eyes back and forth between reading what they have to say and watching what they are supposedly talking about is bullshit. So commentary is a definite YES for me.

Absolutely no commentary, as soon as I hear babbling over a game I close the video.  There are two reasons why I'd want to watch gameplay videos. 1. To get a general idea what a game is like before buying it, 2. when I'm stuck at a specific point in a game and want to get hints on how to proceed.

Of course reviews and essays on games are a different category, I like some of those. But if I search specifically for gameplay I'm not looking for someone's opinion on a game.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, m76 said:

Absolutely no commentary, as soon as I hear babbling over a game I close the video.  There are two reasons why I'd want to watch gameplay videos. 1. To get a general idea what a game is like before buying it, 2. when I'm stuck at a specific point in a game and want to get hints on how to proceed.

Of course reviews and essays on games are a different category, I like some of those. But if I search specifically for gameplay I'm not looking for someone's opinion on a game.

You know what irks me especially? When the commentary goes completely off-course with the player talking about their freaking life - once I hear that I click off the video immediately because it has nothing to do with the game itself.