Register Now
melanie_marie27

Would you say Best Buy has the best computer selection and deals?

I've always gone there, even for buying a quick Android when my iPhone took a flop and just died one day. I love their selection of computers too. Most importantly, Geek Squad set up right in the store, plus, the sales associates have always taken the time to help me set things up.

What do you think of their prices? Would you say they have the best deals on new laptops, cells, etc.?

Edited by melanie_marie27

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to build a new PC or get a gaming PC, I wouldn't bother with most major retailers, including Best Buy. I know there are specialty shops just for PCs and such, and I would rather go there than say Best Buy. Though I'll say Best Buy is probably better than most major retailers. I wouldn't dare buy a PC from the likes of Walmart, Target or other big box stores. 

It's probably best to buy from the likes of Newegg, Fry's Electronics, Micro Center, and a few others I'm forgetting. Some of these stores don't have stores all over the US though. Newegg is online only. I think with Fry's and Micro center, they are limited to certain states and locations. But, they probably have the best bang for your buck. 

Nope - not at all. Newegg (they do have their issues but still a good choice), Microcenter and a few others in addition to the official manufacturer's websites tend to have the best deals available. Best Buy are notorious for trying to rip-off their customers and the way they try to move the goalposts when something is wrong just so they don't have to take accountability is a huge turn-off.

Their laptops tend to be standard MSRP outside of sales. Their desktops on the gaming side tend to be hit or miss. You have to research the components to see if it’s actually worth it.

Sometimes the PC gamers can over exaggerate the money you save on building it yourself, and it’s easy to fudge the numbers. I’ve seen it very common for people to say they can build an equivalent machine for half the price, but they purposefully threw in cheap stuff that they wouldn’t be caught dead using to shave off the price.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, killamch89 said:

Nope - not at all. Newegg (they do have their issues but still a good choice), Microcenter and a few others in addition to the official manufacturer's websites tend to have the best deals available. Best Buy are notorious for trying to rip-off their customers and the way they try to move the goalposts when something is wrong just so they don't have to take accountability is a huge turn-off.

Newegg is a great store to make your PC purchases.  I can do my mobile devices purchases at Best Buy, but spending money at Best Buy for a gaming laptop when there are stores like Newegg is me looking for trouble. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:38 PM, Ajibusu said:

Newegg is a great store to make your PC purchases.  I can do my mobile devices purchases at Best Buy, but spending money at Best Buy for a gaming laptop when there are stores like Newegg is me looking for trouble. 

I totally agree - When it comes to computers especially, stores like Newegg and Microcenter are the best places to look.

Where I live we don't have a Best Buy but I have spoken to people in the past who have used Best Buy to purchase things like PCs and have said that they have had a great experience with them.

Newegg is somewhere I knew about and I have looked on Newegg before in the past for PCs and even laptops but I haven't actually purchased from Newegg. I know people that have though and they were happy with the service. 

I got @Rain Dew a laptop at best buy a couple years back. It was $4,000, but worth it. It's more powerful than my desktop. Both of them are gaming PC's, but her laptop has me beat. She is happy with it, and I'm happy with the desktop. Actually, I hate laptops. So if you have the money, you can get some great PC's at Best Buy. I don't know jack about building your own, so I can't comment on what is better. I've always had prebuilt computers. I did special order a custom PC about 20-21 years ago, before @Rain Dew and I met. But since then, I just go with ready to go computers. I even have an all-in-one somewhere around here.

If you're happy with a prebuilt computer, then go for Best Buy. They'll have the best PC's. Expensive, yes. But they have the highest quality.

I always buy my PC's at best buy, usually with protection plans. They cost a bit more but they are well worth it. I've never had an issue with them, personally. Any issues, they tend to take it back and replace it for you or send it in to get professionally fixed and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it or refund you the price so you can get a new PC of equal or better value.

I got a good deal on my Alienware Monitor because someone returned it and I bought it used. It's been GREAT and I don't think I would have gotten it at such a price otherwise.

Their general prices are comparable, but they don't have as big of a selection as sometimes I would like. They have a lot of the lower level of PCs/Laptops but when it comes to the higher end of things they have a smaller selection. I personally go to a store called Microcenter for better selection.